Complete France Forum

My cakes are burning!

Ppjs2543

Can anyone please tell me how to bake a cake - in a French oven which is fueled by bottle gas - and stop them burning on the bottom.

I have set the oven at the correct temperature, double lined, etc. but all to now avail. The bottom of the cakes seem to burn - particularly fruit cakes. I am used to using a gas oven in England so am happy to use gas, in fact I have used calor in the past, but have never experienced this problem before. This can also happen when roasting potatoes, or cooking a Yorkshire Pudding.

I have tried reducing the temperature, various shelf positions etc. I would say also that the cooker is fitted with the correct burners.

Help!

I too have the same problem....I have tried putting tins, paper etc but I still don't get good results. I have been told that unless you pay a fabulous amount for a gas oven then it is better to have electric....I have resorted to using my combination microwave. Sorry I can't be of any useful help but at least you know that you aren't alone!
regards
somnus
'the best of wealth is in giving, the best of happiness is happiness of the mind'

www.drugfreetherapy.com

Our C.G. cooker came with an all metal additional shelf or (tray if you prefer ) in addition to the spare metal grills. My wife places the spare all metal tray/shelf on the bottom of the cooker which seems to reduce the heat factor and aleviate burnt pastry. Perhaps you may have this shelf/tray or if not see if you can buy one or have a piece of metal cut to size. Hope this may help
Royston

Teamedup was most helpful on a previous posting about this problem and said that this was a problem with French gas ovens. Because of this we bought a very expensive cooker which has an electric oven (with more settings than I have ever seen before - such as choosing to use the fan or not - fan or not assisted grilling???? and also catalytic cleaning) with a gas hob. It has been money well spent and although I am still getting my head round it seems to work very well. Nothing burns by the way as I often cook bread in it. If I am cooking for just the two of us I mostly use the combination microwave to save money.

Di

http://www.iceni-it.co.uk

Hi,

We currently live in Italy and cook with bottled gas and have had the same problem. We have great difficulty regulating the temperature. The trick is to put a tray of water on the rack underneath that which the cake is on. We also use an oven thermometer. Happy baking!