Complete France Forum

Jam jars etc for preserving

Franglais24

In the past fortnight I've made 45 assorted jars of jams, chutneys, pickles etc and have run out of jars too 

The cheapest lidded jam jars, new, that I've seen were €4.95 for 6 at Auchan which is about the same price as filled ones as you said!! I went to a vide grenier on sunday morning especially to hunt out some jars and found a stall with six that I bought for 1€ - bargain. I also bought 7 'traditional' unlidded confiture jars for €3.00 - not so much of a bargain as I then saw a pack of six in Auchan for €2.96!! There were also loads of preserving jars with the hinged lids and rubber seals (can't remember their proper name).

I've not seen any cheaper so all I can suggest is to try any vide-greniers that may be on locally.

[quote]Try your local Emmaus or any similar second hand shop. They usually have plenty.[/quote]

I tried at a large (independant) brocante warehouse first but they were charging between 75cents and 1.50€ for an unlidded confiture jar as opposed to Auchans 49cents for new, so they are not necessarily cheaper but they did have a lot in stock.