Complete France Forum

Liquid pectin

val douest

The elderflower cordial is now infusing and I am turning my attention to strawberry jam - the uncooked kind that is made with strawberries, sugar and liquid pectin, left to 'gel', and then frozen until needed. I haven't seen any liquid pectin (like Certo) in our local supermarket (or at least not in the obvious places) though there is lots of special sugar for jam making. Knowing how much jam is made at home here it must be around. Should I try the pharmacy again, or am I just looking in the wrong place? Or does it come in a different format, ie not liquid?

Thanks again,

Val

My friends who make it here all buy the special sugar that you can buy in the supermarkets which has the pectin in it. They don't add anything else but this.

I've never seen pectin for sale either, but the last time I went to the pharmacie for a product I couldn't get anywhere else it cost a fortune...... just for cream of tartare to go in my scones.

Hi Val, (and TU)

I've never seen liquid pectin in the shops. As Teamedup said, most people use Gelsuc or Confisuc. I hate them as I find they always give a powerful overlay of their own flavour. I get Certo from the UK if I need it, via friends. I'm told there IS a form of pectin available, but it's a powder. Can't remember its name, though I can ask on a french language cooking mailing list and come back to you tomorrow with the answer.

For what it's worth, I'm getting 5 kg of jam strawberries from the grower tomorrow and will be poaching them in 3 kg of redcurrant puree, frozen from last year, which I'll be making into jam by adding 750 gms sugar per litre of compote. But of course that IS a cooked jam, and not a freezer jam. I'm interested to read your recipe, as I only know a freezer raspberry jam, which is pretty yummy.

Oh Ian,

I always love reading your posts on food, they sound excellent, I am not a big jam fan myself, but husband and 2 children love the stuff and considering I have tons of mirabelles and other wild plums on my patch I just cant bear to let the fruit waste - so the jam making continues.

I would be keen for any jelly recipes which you have, as I tend to make alot of duck dishes and find that the red fruit jellies go well with a few oriental spices added.

By the way, I will check out your place sometime - the Table D'Hote of course, but can I masquerade as a food writer for a Sunday newspaper at the same time.

Deby (17/33/24)

Trust me, Ian and Jackie's food lives up to its reputation

Our strawbs are not ready yet, nor are our red and blackcurrants - the problem being that I am off on an advanced cookery course in two weeks and John will have to pick and freeze and I will have to make the jam and sorbets when I get back. The only sorbet that does not keep is strawberry (lasts a month then looses its taste) - a shame as it is one of the best. I quite fancy making strawberry syrup but will have to find a recipe. Freezing the fruit and making the jam later does not detract from its taste too much. I would rather not do it but needs must.

Hi,

First of all, thanks to Deby and Di for their very kind words. I'm afraid it's a bit late to reply in detail as I've really only come back on line to bring Val up to speed on the pectin question. I promise I'll come back later with some suggestions for Deby (though I personally prefer to serve my duck magrets cooked completely differently, which doesn't really go with jellies!!)

Val. I've asked on my french language mailing list about pectin, and Catherine kindly came up with the name. Vitpris. It comes in sachets. As to how you'll use it, I don't know, so you'll have to experiment and see. You may be able to get some idea of equivalents from the instructions.

Best of luck.

The Vitpris box says...

If your jam is too liquid do X

If your jame has crystalised do Y

Inside the box, which contains 4 sachets, is a long list of different fruits with the quantity required, the amount of sugar, instructions for preparation and amount you end up with.

The box adds that Vitpris is also suitable for jellies and gives similar instructions.

It's made by Alsa and boasts that it is made to the same recipe for 25 years.........

Many thanks once again for all your helpful replies. I have a friend coming out shortly so I am sure she will bring some Certo if asked; I will also look out for Vitpris.

For Ian and anyone else who would like to try it, here is the recipe for Freezer Stawberry Jam (which also works very well with raspberries and blackberries). Sorry about the imperial measures but that's how I've always used it.

Take:

One and a quarter lbs ripe strawberries (crushed with a wooden spoon)

2lbs caster sugar

Half a bottle of liquid pectin (Certo)

2 tablespoons lemon juice.

Stir the sugar into the crushed fruit and leave to stand for a hour in a warm kitchen, stirring frequently. Add the pectin, stir well and add the lemon juice. Stir for two minutes until well mixed, then transfer to clean dry jam jars* or plastic pots. Cover each with a piece of foil. Leave the pots to stand in a warm kitchen for 48 hours, then freeze. Transfer a pot to the fridge as you need it - once opened it will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks.

I can't remember how much jam it makes (about 3 lbs?) but it is a slightly softer set than the usual cooked version. However, as it is served from the fridge it is quite manageable on bread etc and is also delicious over ice cream.

*I usually use small glass (reused) jam jars and have never had any breakages, maybe because the foil top is not a tight seal.

Best wishes,

Val

Archived