Complete France Forum

Marrying a French girl in France....

Andy

Hi All,

I've searched for the information that I seek, but there seem to be differing opinions so I thought I'd just post my questions here!

I'm planning to marry a French girl, and she'd like to get married in France. She has a family friend who works for the Mayor or some such, and apparently he's happy to marry here despite the fact that we've bee living in the UK for 3 years.

My questions are:

Do I have to have been living in France for any period prior to getting married?

Will she have to go back for any period of time before getting married?

Do either of us need a prenuptial certificate, or have these now been abolished? If we do, what is involved?

Cheers!

Andy

Thanks for the reply Clair! If I were to wask her to read it to me  I'd be in trouble for not trying to read it myself in French!

So from what I can tell there is no requirement to reside in France for any period of time, and no prenuptial certificate required. Can you confirm? Seems that it will be much less complicated that I thought!

Cheers,

Andy

[quote user="Andy"]

Thanks for the reply Clair! If I were to ask her to read it to me  I'd be in trouble for not trying to read it myself in French!

So from what I can tell there is no requirement to reside in France for any period of time, and no prenuptial certificate required. Can you confirm? Seems that it will be much less complicated that I thought!

Cheers,

Andy

[/quote]As mentioned in my earlier post, the info you need is on the site: Q&A

Peut-on se marier dans la mairie de son choix ?

NON.

Pour se marier, il faut s’adresser à la mairie du lieu de résidence de

l’un ou l’autre des époux, à condition d’y résider depuis au moins un

mois.

Pour les mineurs, le domicile dont il est tenu compte est celui des parents. 

Selon les dispositions des articles 74 et 165 du Code civil, le mariage

est célébré dans la commune où l’un des deux époux dispose soit de son

domicile, soit d’un lieu de résidence effective depuis au moins un mois

au jour de la publication des bans et dont l’adresse figurera dans

l’acte de mariage.

En cas de mariage mixte, le mariage peut

avoir lieu en France ou à l’étranger. Il est alors célébré par les

autorités du pays où il a lieu ou par les autorités consulaires

françaises.

Toutefois, les autorités consulaires françaises ne

peuvent procéder à la célébration du mariage que dans les pays où elles

y sont autorisées.

Lorsque le mariage est célébré à l’étranger, il

fait ensuite l’objet d’une transcription sur les registres de l’état

civil français.

Que doit faire un Français résidant à l’étranger et souhaitant se marier en France ?

Le

mariage devant l’officier de l’état civil suppose que l’un des futurs

conjoints ait un domicile ou une résidence dans le ressort de

compétence de cet officier. A défaut, le mariage ne peut être célébré

en France.

Ai-je besoin d’un certificat prénuptial pour constituer mon dossier de mariage ?

Depuis

la loi n° 2007-1787 du 20 décembre 2007 relative à la simplification du

droit, le certificat médical, appelé communément certificat prénuptial,

n’est plus obligatoire (art. 63 C. civ.). Ladite loi étant d’effet

immédiat, ce document n’est plus exigé dans la constitution du dossier

de mariage.

Hi,

One thing not specified in the french govt. site is that the foreign spouse may have to obtain a "certificat de coutume" from his government which basically proves his eligibility to marry legally (ie; not already married etc); also required is ,I think , a certificate from an agency in Paris that you are not already in a PACS with someone--the mairie can confirm the exact details of these requirements.

[quote user="parsnips"]One thing not specified in the french govt. site is that the foreign spouse may have to obtain a "certificat de coutume" from his government which basically proves his eligibility to marry legally (ie; not already married etc); also required is ,I think , a certificate from an agency in Paris that you are not already in a PACS with someone--the mairie can confirm the exact details of these requirements. [/quote]

Le mariage avec un futur conjoint de nationalité étrangère

Il

est tout à fait possible d’épouser une personne de nationalité

étrangère. La production de documents spécifiques peut être exigée pour

s’assurer qu’elle remplit les conditions pour pouvoir se marier. Les

conditions qu’elle doit remplir pour se marier valablement en France

sont en principe définies par la loi de son pays.

Le certificat de coutume attestera que vous remplissez les conditions prévues par votre loi nationale pour vous marier.

L’existence d’un pacte civil de solidarité

(PACS) ne constitue pas un empêchement à mariage mais le mariage met

fin de plein droit au pacte civil de solidarité.

En revanche, un mariage non dissous empêche la conclusion d’un pacte civil de solidarité (PACS) (art. 515-2 du Cciv).

[quote user="Andy"]

She has a family friend who works for the Mayor or some such, and apparently he's happy to marry here despite the fact that we've bee living in the UK for 3 years.

[/quote]

Clair's transcription of the rules are of course accurate. However, since the Maire has given the nod, he's probably going to use your fiancee's friend's address in the commune as your residence. That's what happened when our son got married over here - our address appeared on all the documents.

It's a rule that's there to prevent anybody from anywhere in the world just turning up and saying "Marry us", rather than your particular situation.

When I enquired at our mairie I was given a whole list of paperwork that needed to be provided/translated. I was also told that I needed to be interviewed by an ajoint to make sure I was a suitable person to marry a poor defenceless (!) Frenchwoman.

In the end we decided to get married in Jersey.

Looking at the OP it only says that they know someone at the Mairie. This isn't necessarily the same as saying that the Maire will be sympathetic and helpful.

Archived