Complete France Forum

Anything here close to Bramleys?

Viv

I cannot get used to using dessert apples for pies etc. The texture of some of these apples cooked set my teeth on edge and they are already far too sweet for me.

What , if anything, is similar to a good old British cooking apple?

[quote]Thank TU Bought some today and improvised a 'ready steady cook' style tarte tatin and they were really nice.[/quote]

When I am in Switzerland I use Russet, as there are no Bramleys available.

Russets are nice to eat and "pulp" up nicely when cooked.

What is that on your Picture Viva: May I have a guess: Is it a fish on a boat?

Hi Monika

Thanks for the apple tip.

I have a big phobia about sharks ( not that I've met any !) but this is a picture from google images of a shark jumping out of the water , I presume in an attempt to attack the man on the ladder of the helicopter.

I just think it's incredible ! Not very French I'm afraid,

If you put "shark attack" and go past the few grisly images, you can get a big image of this photo. ( I don't thinks its a doctored one  :unsure

Edit . I think this link will have it

www.membres.lycos.fr/grandblanc/Shark_attack.jpg

[quote]When I am in Switzerland I use Russet , as there are no Bramleys available. Russets are nice to eat and "pulp" up nicely when cooked. What is that on your Picture Viva : May I have a guess: Is i...[/quote]

Russets and Canada Gris share the same rough skin and have the same pulping qualities. Have not seen Russets here but I always use Canada Gris which are excellent.

[quote]I wouldn't use cooking apples of any sort in my tarte tatin. I am really curious as to what this recipe is now.[/quote]

It was an improvised pud

I just don't like using already sweet eating apples especially when I have to add more sugar - which is needed to caramalise the apples. Its just too sweet for me ( and as I do all the cooking - my family have to go along with my preferences! There's no democracy in my kitchen )

I prefer to start off with a slightly sourer apple, and then not have to cutback on the added sugar.  It really did turn out nice!

Archived