Complete France Forum

Parasites in fish - if squeamish don't read!

Viv

I bought some Monkfish yesterday that was headless,gutted and cleaned but when I came to cut the fish up I found a number of 1" thin worms embedded in the flesh.

Now I realise that worms live in animals and fish but expected that they would be confined to the gut.It really made me a bit queasy to have to pick out these still live parasites out of the actual meat of the fish.

Had I not have found them, could they have been transferred and live in humans?

Do they cause any health problems ? (other than my almost vomiting at the sight of them [+o(] )

Is there any fish that has less/none of these things?

A french delicacy CA, it is lotte.

When cooked the worms surely would die.

One poor bloke I saw on TV years ago loved smoked salmon and had caught some sort of worm that whales normally catch which cannot be got rid of........ now that is revolting n'est pas [+o(]

[quote user="viva"]

I bought some Monkfish yesterday that was

headless,gutted and cleaned but when I came to cut the fish up I found

a number of 1" thin worms embedded in the flesh.

Now I realise that worms live in animals and fish but expected that

they would be confined to the gut.It really made me a bit queasy to

have to pick out these still live parasites out of the actual meat of

the fish.

Had I not have found them, could they have been transferred and live in humans?

Do they cause any health problems ? (other than my almost vomiting at the sight of them [+o(] )

Is there any fish that has less/none of these things?

[/quote]

This sounds horrible. I assume that the fish was fresh?

Worms in the flesh itself (only the tail of monkfish is eaten - the

rest is head) is unusual. What colour were they? If you managed to get

a sample, it might be worth submitting some to your local public health

dept (your mairie or sous-prefecture should be able to help you). While

cooking SHOULD kill the live worms, their eggs may be more hardy.

Though I would think it unlikely that a piscine parasite could take up

residence in a human (we have plenty of our own, after all), I think

that I would like to make sure.

I'm not a fan of monkfish, so I rarely buy it. I've not seen anything like this in any other fish.

Thanks TU, yes I know lotte, but didn't know monkfish.  Now lotte is off the list what can we buy, salmon I'm told is full of antibiotics, so is perche du nil, etc. etc.

Is it all right if I stick to a lovely thick chunk of julienne, or raie for raie au beurre noir with capers?  I don't fancy eating worms even if they are dead.

The worms  were very thin and  were curled up tight,dark reddish brown in colour. I could just see them buried in the flesh just below the surface but when I hooked them out with the end of my knife not knowing what they were they gradually started to move. I couldn't afford to throw it out but I won't be getting it again. I didn't think to keep them, as I thought that the supermarket would not be as sensitive to foreign bodies as I am.

I cannot find a picture of them but this may be of use. I think I'm going vegetarian!

http://www.zetatalk.com/health/theal18l.htm

...no, they probably wouldn't be.  Years back in Paris one of the girls in the office was trying to convince us how good vegetarian food was and that she knew a little restaurant in the quartier.  So off we all went one lunchtime and, just my luck, I had a great big earthworm in my cabbage, gone all rubbery as it was cooked.  I went about as green as the cabbage, but the others made no fuss at all and thought it was quite funny with the typical jokes of "you've got some meat in a vegetarian restaurant!"

Lots of sea fish have parasitic worms. I knew about them as I had a friend who had a fish round and have met people that went worm picking in Iceland (It is well payed but hard work you were payed per worm.) - after gutting the fish especially cod they shine UV light to show up the worms as they have so many worms.

I was once in Waitrose and an very worried old couple came to the check out and whispered to the girl while tentatively holding a white plastic bag containing a glutinous substance. The girl on the checkout went white and rushed off for her superviser - I guessed it was fish and said to the man "You have found worms in your fish".

"How did you know?'" he replied. I told him that they nearly all had living worms in them.

My friend gave up his fish round after many of his customers died... no kidding.

If you think parasitic worms in fish are worrying you should see what can be found in abbatoirs and meat packing plants...

Some years ago we bought Rockfish (I think it was anyway) and when Di was stir frying it out popped a couple of thin white worms. On our next visit to the fishmonger we told the tale and he said "that proves it is fresh". He then explained that when his cod was in the smoking room there were sometimes so many worms that it seemed that the cod were growing beards.

When ignorance is bliss etc

John

not

Ok folks, you are not reassuring me here!

I think it was the fact that these things were in the flesh of the fish that disturbed me and the fact that they could have been so easily missed. I am also one of these people who cannot forget stuff like this very easily and from now on when I think monkfish I will also think worms.

I buy a lot of organic veggies and often find little white grubs in my carrots and slugs in my cabbage but for reasons that I haven't figured out yet, that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

[quote user="Miggimeggi"]

Anyone for sushi??

Anne[+o(]

[/quote]

Funny you should mention that. Yesterday whilst perusing a Rick Stein

book in serach of something to do with a lump of fresh tuna I found

that he recommends monkfish as a contender for sushi. I rather think

not. I had a good peer at and a bit of a poke of the monkfish tails on

the slab at market yesterday in the hope of seeing some signs of life

but they all appeared to be well killed.

Archived