far as I can tell, nutritionally they are very good for me (proteins,

omega 3, zinc, etc), but there is one thing that I would really like to

know: why is it advised that one should not wash down raw oysters with

spirits? I've often thought that oysters with a glass of iced vodka

sounded like quite a nice idea. There was a time when I would have been

happy to try this, even if it meant adding yet another item to the

extensive list of "things I tried to eat that I really shouldn't have,"

but needing now, as I do, to set an example to small children, I think it

best that I try to find out from someone else. Anyone?

I`ll have the Picpoul and you can have as many oysters as you like   , yuck, yuck and yuckier. I`ll have muscles instead!

I would have thought vodka would have gone down well with Oysters, I was told in my seafaring days . by a norwegian fellow sailor , that if one got a dicky tum to take a neat glass of vodka and it would kill all the bugs inside. It works too, too many salad buffets can upset the equilibrium!

[quote user="Loiseau"]

Muscadet-sur-Lie every time, in my opinion, Jond!

Angela

[/quote]

Yup! Quite agree. All you need is sunshine, friends, lots of oysters and une bonne bouteille de Muscadet. Best way to eat them little critters!... If you want to be posher then you could have a champagne SEC! but personnally the bubbles interfere with the iodine in the oysters.

Though maybe with some very chilled vodka (no mixer) just as you would eat caviar wouldn't taste that bad, would it?

[quote user="jond"]I am extremely fond of oysters and one of the many, many advantages of living where we do is that they are very cheap (about €2 a kilo). As far as I can tell, nutritionally they are very good for me (proteins, omega 3, zinc, etc), but there is one thing that I would really like to know: why is it advised that one should not wash down raw oysters with spirits? I've often thought that oysters with a glass of iced vodka sounded like quite a nice idea. There was a time when I would have been happy to try this, even if it meant adding yet another item to the extensive list of "things I tried to eat that I really shouldn't have," but needing now, as I do, to set an example to small children, I think it best that I try to find out from someone else. Anyone?
[/quote]

I've often wondered about that too, so your mail prompted me to do a bit of research.

I couldn't find a definitive reason why it is so often frowned upon, but by putting some of the facts together, I'd guess one of the reasons could be the impact that strong alcohol has on liver function, contributing to a higher risk of contracting the vibro vulnificus bacteria sometimes found in raw oysters.

Having said that, even allowing for the potential risks of eating raw oysters [+o(] I'm very fond of the blighters myself.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]I agree with Vodak with caviar, but it still has to be very cold, very dry champagne with oysters. That's what my Irish grandfather showed me when I was nobbut a lad.
[/quote]

In Ireland and England (Whitstable in Kent in particular) it would definitely be Guinness, any (old) Londoner or Dubliner will tell you that.

In Brittany, Muscadet-sur-lie.

In Paris, Krug !

Being an awkward little minx, I like them with Chablis.

Jenny. x   [:P]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I'll drink anything nice with anything[:-))]

BUT I can't eat oysters without a little finely chopped shallot in balsamique vinegar - yummy!

Nice to see you back from your travels Jenny!

This recipe is just for you[:)]

http://www.arts-culinaires.com/recettes/huitres_au_four.aspx

[/quote]

Thanks Twinkie,

The recipe looks perfect.

Jenny. x   [:P]

Archived