Complete France Forum

cottage cheese

Polremy

i love it. i know this is strange but I just do. Try toast, marmite and cottage cheese with mache on top. Scrummy. I am probably the only person who brings it back from England to France (but yes, Mr. Polremy is more normal and imports teabags). Now, I know that cottage cheese is the same as er fromage blanc is it? but that just doesn't have the consistency. My question is: can you buy proper cottage cheese in France or, failing that, can anyone tell me how I could perhaps make it myself? Strangely enough, I prefer the low fat version.

Cottage Cheese (the real stuff) is sold at our local LeClerc in

Carpentras.  It is on the expensive side as they charge 2.99 euros

for a tiny container.

I haven't been able to find a substitute.  Nothing is quite the same.

Where did that come from, Dick?  It's a winter green, a bit like a round leafed spinach.  Also known as lamb's lettuce.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:jTJkw4JQQSQphM:www.ebfarm.com/images/GreensID/Mache.jpg[/img]

Phil

Mache is lambs lettuce or corn salad, cottage cheese is made by Danone to the English recipe and is available at our local carrefour. Ask your local major super to stock it  Allowing that the idea of stocking is a bit of a joke in France I wish you luck.

Its not even 9 am here, but you know Polremy you have a lot to answer for!

I havn`t had cottage cheese since I have been in France, but could eat your recipe.....including the marmite and lambs lettuse(I have 3 on my potager waiting to be picked) off to perps in a while for a shoe fitting for the youngest, Leclerc ,Auchan and Intermarche are all en route.............

Archived