Complete France Forum

How to get the stone out of an avocado?

La Vette

Don't hold the avocado in the palm of your hand and stab at it with a very sharp knife.  I now have a half inch wide, nearly went right through my hand, gash which is very painful. 

Oh, and there was the slicing of the red pepper with an ultra sharp ham boning knife yesterday.  I am not sure if my finger has stopped bleeding yet as I darent take off the plaster.  Still it was the same hand so I am not totally disabled.

My OH is going to lock the knife draw in future.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Poor you !

Slice all round the avocado, take top in one hand, bottom in the other and twist. If the stone is firmly attached to one half still, ease out with a teaspoon !

[/quote]

Perfect technique, as per.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Poor you !

Slice all round the avocado, take top in one hand, bottom in the other and twist. If the stone is firmly attached to one half still, ease out with a teaspoon !

[/quote]

Perfect technique, as per.

Did the twist and teaspoon thing tonight on a couple of avocados - perfection! I discovered a perfect little round coffeespoon that was exactly right.  The best thing was that the skin twisted off at the same time!  Thank you for that, I should not be allowed out with a carving knife and that's how I used to deal with them. Fortunately all the carving knives are packed away ready for our move so by improvising on your idea (had to use the swiss army knife for the initial cut...) I've discovered a much better solution.

Sounds a bit like girlies work to me, but my OH does your method Gaye, of cuting in half and twisting the 2 halves apart and then she, don't look La Vette, wacks the stone with the sharp knife so the blade cuts into thew stone and twists the stone out. Works every time... It's difficult to miss the stone as long as the swing doesn't start from somewhere behind your head[:-))]!!!

I prefer to watch and get stoned on a couple of pernos, much safer?

John.

I'd like to feel smug about my prowess with an Avocado but yesterday as I took a 'Chicken Korma' out of the chill cabinet in Waitrose, it slipped, and in my effort to catch it, the corner of the box cut my finger ! Attacked by a bit of bl**dy cardboard !!! Drip, drip, all round the shop.............

We no longer buy corned beef in tins - the 'key' has snapped too often and neither me or TOH want to risk that fiasco with the tin again[:@][:@]

[quote user="La Vette"]There is nothing worse than a paper cut. [/quote]

I once punched a wall and broke 3 knuckles.  I once dislocated my knee playing squash and it stuck out at 45 degrees from the straight - I had to twist it back in myself.  I once dislocated 2 fingers playing rugby and had them popped back in by the physio.

I'd rather have a paper cut! [:D]

La Vette,

after my fight with a fierce canard, my left hand is out of use until Christmas...

and from september i will need fisiotherapy 3 times a week!

maybe we can get togheter and try to open your avocado with my new super tin opener?[;-)] ....pizza with duck AND avocado... could be a winner!

Archived