Complete France Forum

Mirabelles

aj_dr

We have a glut of them this year, it seems this tree only produces very other year. Two years ago we picked 100kg just off the one tree. My neighbours go mad over them, some make jam and others freeze them and use them in tarts throughout the year. So far I haven't found any recipes for them.....anybody any ideas??

aj

[quote user="David_Janet"]

Does anyone have a recipe for mirabelle jam, please?

Thanks

Janet

[/quote]

Agreeing with Mary, Jude used her plum recipe for the wild plum jam, which also included a yellow variety that was very like mirabelles in size and taste - might even be mirabelles.  It's gorgeous, by the way!  She is dictating the following to me:

1kg plums/mirabelles

4 tbsp water

1kg sugar

Half fruit with knife and remove stones.  Simmer the fruit and water (stops sticking to bottom of pan) in a preserving pan until soft and pulpy.  Add sugar and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves then raise heat and boil rapidly until setting point is reached (test on ice cold saucer - spoon a drop onto the saucer and if it 'skins', i.e. wrinkles when you push the mixture with your finger, it's ready).  Pour into hot sterile jars and seal immediately.

Wild plums, mirabelles and under-ripe plums give a better set than ripe plums so no pectin should be necessary.

I tried the standard equal quantities of fruit/sugar with mirabells last year and it turned out far too sweet.  In fact it started crystalising.  I've been quite successful with plum and greengage jam but need to know if I can reduce the amount of sugar with mirabelles.  Will it still set, or does anyone think I can throw in a little lemon juice (which is what I do with apricot jam)?

Don't want to go to all the hassle of preparing the fruit if it's going to turn out like last years.

Janet

Maybe there's a mirabelle/sugar issue then.  Jude says she's not had a problem with this with plums or wild plums.

Had a quick look around the web - some have equal sugar and mirabelles, others slightly less sugar than fruit.  Some also add some lemon juice.

Also found this pie recipe from the USA:

Mirabelle Plum Pie

pastry dough, enough for one tart/pie shell

1 pound (500 g) fresh mirabelle plums

1 oz (25 g) flour

2 oz (50 g) heavy cream

2 oz (50 g) sugar

1 egg

- Preheat the oven at 180°C/ 350°F/ #7.

- Roll out the pastry dough.

- Line a pie tin with the pastry and blind bake until just barely golden.

- Wash the plums, halve them and place them on the pastry cut side up.

- In a bowl, whisk the egg and flour.

- Add the sugar and combine. Add the heavy cream and combine.

- Pour this mix into the tart shell around the fruits and bake for approx 35 minutes.

- NOTE:

we had a very shallow tart tin but if you have a deeper pie tin, just

double the recipe and fill to just below the top of the plums.

- Serve warm or cold.

We had tonnes of them this year from two huge, tall trees.  Unfortunately, the trees are too high for us to reach and by the time they fall they are either full of worms or of wasps. Bad enough the fruit being inedible but we have to both collect it and then get rid of it. [:(]

Anne

• 3 weeks later...

Archived