Complete France Forum

Smoked duck breast

Catalpa

We have a producer locally who does all sorts of things with poultry and the smoked duck breasts are perfect - really ducky and moist but nicely smoky. When we eat it, we tend to cut chunks and eat it just with bread and a good red. I want to serve it as a starter at the weekend and I need inspiration as to what to do with it. In the past I've sliced it onto a mixed leaf salad with an orange-y vinaigrette dressing... but that doesn't really complement the duck... the orange seems to get in the way of the smoked flavour. Served with a caramelised onion chutney is only okay-ish too- I've done that previously as a winter starter. Has anyone got any ideas for a nice starter using this duck which looks and tastes really special?

You could make a rillettes type dish with the duck but it sounds far to good for that.

Cherries always go well with Duck,

What about a cherry chutney?     I just found this one on the web.

1 llb cherries

1 cup brown sugar

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar

1/4 tsp. allspice

1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Combine all ingredients  in heavy saucepan and stir to mix. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and cook gently for 45-50 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.

• 1/2 tsp. salt
  •  

Archived