Complete France Forum

Buttermilk powder

PossumGirl

Has anyone come across this here?  I used to always keep a can of it in the pantry for baking.  The problem with buying Lait Ribot is that I never use the whole thing, or else never have it at precisely the moment that I need it for a recipe.  The buttermilk powder stays good for ages and is always available.

I've searched "lait ribot poudre" and various other things, but not come up with anything on any of the food sites.

PG

Yes PG, my Mom sends me buttermilk powder regularly from North Carolina.  When I run out, I use one small container of plain yogurt, mixed with a touch of milk (say for a biscuit recipe) and it works perfectly.  Tastes just great.  Have you tried it?

Oh, and I have never seen the powder here.  I have never even seen the real buttermilk here.  I use the Lait Fermente, but it isn't REAL buttermilk.  Wonder if they sell the real thing in other parts of France?

Lait Ribot is definitely the same thing, Lori.  And, I suspect that you are all correct that the powdered variety simply doesn't exist here.  I just had a friend drop a can in the mail to me along with some vitamins that I ordered, so for now, that solves the problelm.

I've used fresh milk mixed with lemon or vinegar in recipes and that does work as well, but the buttermilk powder is so handy to keep around for all kinds of things.

I also prefer non-aluminum baking powder, which I also haven't found.  However, that's easy enough to make with cream of tartar and baking soda.  You just have to get it into the oven fast!

PG

If you have a look at Alliance Pastorale website and look at their catalogue you will find what you want.

Look at the dairy section of the PDF file catalogue and look at page 13.  There are all sorts of starter cultures for making cheese, butter and yoghurt.  All the places in the UK and USA actually get theirs from here in France.  I have just bought a buttermilk starter culture and it worked a treat.

When you make it up to a litre with milk you can freeze it in an ice cube tray and then just get a couple of ice cubes out when you need it and put it in the warm milk for 24 hours to make the buttermilk.  Just dont forget to make another load before they run out.

Gail x

I will defnitely look for the Lait Ribot - is it found with the fresh milks?  The Lait Fermente is a yogurt based milk, it has a similar flavour, but isn't the same as buttermilk.

Where did you find cream of tartar?  I have been looking for it but haven't found it.  Is it called something different here?

Gail - forgive me, but I can't seem to navigate that site very well.  I did go to the Laiterie section and clicked on every subcategory (even though they didn't seem to be quite right) and couldn't find the section you mentioned.  I couldn't seem to pull up all the 13 pages at once - had to click on subcategories.  I did try a search and came up empty too.

I'd like to see what they have.  Can you advise further??

Thanks.

Yes, lait ribot is usually in with the fresh milks.  It's very common up here in Normandy and Brittany but I've no idea about points south.   Sorry.

Never seen cream of tartar here - but then, we've never looked for it as the tub we brought from the UK is still sealed and unopened!

Cassis thanks for doing that..  I was a bit busy when I replied I am in the middle of cheese making.

I am sure that you can ice cube the whole buttermilk and then make your own with the cubes.

I use the buttermilk as a starter for the cheese.  I havent seen whole butter milk here in Dordognefordshire but I will have another look when I go to the supermarket.

If you are not sure what you want in terms of which powder then have a look at a site for British or American online dairy provision shops and they usually have a good description of what you are buying plus a picture of the packet.  Then go to AP site and pick out what you want.  It is much cheaper to buy it here.  I am very new at this and learning rapidly.  If I find out more I will let you know.

Gail x

Voila !  Merci Cassis.  I can't figure out which product is for preparing buttermilk.  There seem to be a couple that sound right - I think, though they are bit too complicated for my small brain.  Can anyone tell me which one is the right one?

Thanks again.

[quote user="Lori"]

I will defnitely look for the Lait Ribot - is it found with the fresh milks?  The Lait Fermente is a yogurt based milk, it has a similar flavour, but isn't the same as buttermilk.

Where did you find cream of tartar?  I have been looking for it but haven't found it.  Is it called something different here?

[/quote]

Lori, I find Lait Ribot next to fresh milk in the big markets like LeClerc and Carrefour.  I must admit I haven't looked for a small bottle of cream of tartar.  However, it's called "crème de tartre" here and if you want a BIG container, you can get it at Pattiwiz.  But I think I'll try finding a smaller size first!

PG

Archived