Complete France Forum

I need Sherry for a Chinese recipe - anyone know what it is called or a substitute

Georgina

Missy's right on all counts.  However, I have to say that finding the Vin de Xeres was a bit hard.  I do find it at Auchan (which is a long drive from my house), but have had to resort to the Madera stuff when I wasn't able to set out on the journey to Auchan.  She is right in that it worked fine.

Spg - yes, I have used that as a replacement too, with no problems.  And yes, it is much more readily available.  There are a couple of others located in the same section with the pineau that are called something else (names escape me), but they too work as a substitute.

I'm drinking a 3euro bottle of muscat de rivesaltes instead of the croft original I usually keep in for guests and when I feel like a treat -  only difference I can find if I follow one with the other is the muscat is fractionally sweeter, but you'd never know without tasting both one after the other.  Floc de Gascogne is also a possible, though my BIL couldn't taste any difference between muscat, pineau and floc when he tried them - but then he's a harvey's bristol cream man!

I'm sure we Vauclusiens can pull our weight too - so to speak, only round here you're more likely to find stocks of the cheap stuff.  Auchan is another story.  To walk through their liquor section is like taking a walk on another planet.  I've never heard of 50% of the stuff they stock.  I wouldn't know what to do with it - mix it, serve it on the rocks, warm it, blend it......

Floc du Gascogne is a good substitute. 

You can also put it in one of those water bottles that go around your neck - you know the ones that you bring back from Lourdes with holy water inside?  For emergencies - well that's what my friend Lorraine does anyway[:-))]

Archived