175g soft butter
450g chicken livers
2 shallots finely chopped
1 tsp thyme leaves
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 tbsp brandy
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
55g  clarified melted butter (optional)

Heat 15g of the butter in a frying pan until frothy but not brown.
Add half the livers and fry quickly on all sides but so they are still pink in the middle about 4-5 minutes.
Repeat with another 15g of butter and liver.
Place the liver and juices in a food processor.
In the same pan heat another 15g butter add the shallot, thyme and garlic, and cook over a moderate heat until the shallot is soft but not coloured.
Add the brandy and pepper.

Place everything in the food processor and rest of butter and blend until smooth.
If you want the pate really smooth push mixture through a sieve and put in a bowl. Cover with the cling film, cool then refrigerate.

If not using within 48 hours cover the top with clarified butter.

You can add other things like chopped mushrooms, cranberries, bits of apricots  etc at the same time as the shallots.

Very quick , easy as tasty[:D]

Mmmm... sliced duck foie gras with apples and potatoes. My favourite starter ever. Several of the better restaurants in our bit of Nomandy serve it, often as part of the menu du terroir, and I know several people who would not previously have even comtemplated eating foie gras who have been converted after trying it.

I think it would work equally well with mangoes - if you aren't in Normandy and can't get the apples of course [:D]

Archived