Complete France Forum

Recipe ideas for Christmas Lunch / Dinner

Lori

I've been reading all my cookbooks, magazines and reviewed lots of websites trying to decide what to prepare for Christmas Lunch.  We do a big meal around 2 pm on Xmas day and nothing more after that.  Husband is a vegetarian (tho he eats eggs and fish), but will eat a small slice of any sort of bird - for me on Xmas.  Daughter could live on meat alone if I allowed it.  I can go either way, but love the smell of a baking bird on Xmas.  Can't do any red meats as husband would have to leave the house....

So, can anyone recommend any favorite recipes, appetizers, main course birds, veggie dishes??  I would love to find a recipe for a good stuffing (not in the bird) that includes toasted nuts and some dried fruits.  I have tried several recipes and they've been just okay.  Other than that, I am totally open to hear all of your favorite holiday recipes.

I do plan to prepare a pecan pie and perhaps pumpkin squares for dessert, so I don't really need help in the sweets area, though would love to hear your favorites.

Ideas?

Here's a really easy way to cook foie gras.

For a whole duck liver of about 500g you need:

8g salt

2g pepper

sliver of armagnac

Cut all the veins out of the liver and rub the salt and pepper all over and inside.  Press the liver into one of those small oval shaped terrine dishes.  Pour over the armagnac and close with the lid. 

Place the terrine into a deep dish of boiled  water - the water line must come up halfway of the terrine.  Place this in a heated oven (electric) at 5 and leave for 25 mins.  Then lower temperature to 4 and leave for another 40 mins.

This is a mi-cuit foie gras and it must be eaten within a week of  making it.  Keep it in the fridge and cut it into slices and serve with raisin bread. 

You know I have lived here for five years and I have NEVER prepared foie gras.  And, believe me, it isn't because I don't like it.  Just didn't know what to do with it.

When you say remove the veins.  I don't mean to sound stupid, but are they obvious like they are in chicken livers?  When I see the fresh foie gras in the grocery store, they don't appear to have any veins.  Do you see them once you have taken the liver out of the package?

Do you ever put any type of apple / warm fruit sauce with it?

Lori, do you have a copy of Delia Smith's Christmas Book /Her recipe for Cheese and Parsnip Roulade is very popular with the veggie section of my family.

If you don't, and if you're interested, I could send it. I'm also quite keen on her Truffle Torte.

Hoddy

Hoddy, no I don't have the book.  Yes, I'd love a copy of the recipe.  I don't want you to have to go to the trouble of typing it all in here as I assume that would take some time.  Wouldn't mind the Truffle Torte recipe either - unless it calls for real truffes (can't afford those).  I'm guessing it is a sweet torte, not a salty one??

Should I PM you with my address for popping a copy in La Poste?  Or perhaps you have a scanner?

How sensible of you, Lori. Yes, it really does roll up easily ...

I'm ashamed to admit that I had a problem with it the first time I cooked it. I was making a larger one because I had a lot of guests.

No worries, I had a double oven. Christmas morning is a bad time to discover that one of your ovens is slightly smaller than the other - especially when you've got a whacking great turkey in the other one.

Apart from that, which really was caused by my trying to make it bigger, it was easy.

Hoddy

Lori!

I was really afraid about making foie gras to start with, but it is so easy and this recipe is quite honestly very delicious.

Here's a fresh duck liver (not chicken sweetheart) some people do goose liver too but the taste is much stronger and not to everyones liking.

On the outside it is very smooth and you can't see the veins - but don't be afraid to open it up and pull out the main red arteries (don't bother too much with the little ones) and don't worry about the foie getting messed up and a bit mushy - you can get it all compact again in the terrine.  It's my favourite part of the operation actually - but I was a bit apprehensive the first time.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

This is a mi-cuit foie gras and it must be eaten within a week of  making it.  Keep it in the fridge and cut it into slices and serve with raisin bread. 

[/quote]

I'm going to try to persuade Jude to try this as we can get duck livers for free.  You say this one has to be eaten in a week - that's a lot of foie gras for two to get through.  What do they do to the ones that are preserved in  bocaux and tins?

Phil!

You can half the foie and freeze the rest (once it's been de-veined)  I've given the the amounts of salt & pepper for 500g but you can do one with just 200g. 

Here's what you can do with the bit you've frozen:

For you & Jude

4 slices of foie gras (fresh)

1 mangoe

25g butter

1 tablespoon of balsamique vinegar

salt, pepper

Cut the foie slices in half.  Peel the mangoe and cut it into 8 slices - about the same size as the foie gras. Melt the butter in a pan and cook the mangoe slices for about 10 mins.  Take them out and place them on some kitchen roll.  Cook the foie slices for about a minute and a half on each side.  Place the mangoes and the foie on a plate.  Add the vinegar to the warm pan and pour the juice over the foie and mangoes.  Add salt and pepper.

Bon appetit!

The ones in bocaux and tins are cooked and pasturised foie gras and you can keep them forever.  It must be eaten within a week of opening however - but you can get smaller quantities this way. 

I was advised by my husbands 96 year old paysan grandmother to always buy whole foie gras (entier) whether its cooked or fresh.

Following Cassis' comment about bread, my favourite accompaniment to a roast bird is bread sauce. Stud a peeled onion with a few cloves and simmer in milk until soft. Discard the cloves. Add white breadcrumbs to the milk, plus salt and pepper and some of the mashed-up cooked onion. This can be prepared in advance and served cold. Pat.

Twinks - thanks so much for that explanation.  It explained it all perfectly.  I will definitely prepare a fresh foie gras this year.  Perhaps for Xmas eve.  And I loved the sound of the Mangoe recipe.

Pat - that sounds very unusual.  You just eat it cold with the dinner?

And yes I love the potatoes, sweet and othewise and haven't decided if I will do a potatoe dish this year or not.  Trying not to overdo the carbohydrates.

Last year I roasted a Label Red Chapon.  It was the best bird we have ever eaten.  Think I will do another one this year.  I thought it was pricey at around 25 euros, but it was quite large and made several meals.  I guess it is nothing compared to the price of a buterflied boneless leg of lamb or a prime rid - that reminds me, what do they call a prime rib roast in French??  I have never seen one in the supermarkets.  Are they not prepared here?

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

We are having chapon this year at my in-laws. 

Right now he's running around their garden and hasn't got a clue about what's going to happen to him AGAIN on Christmas day[:-))]

[/quote]

AGAIN - is this a resurrected capon, Twinks? [:)]  Or was it the op last Xmas Day?  Not much of a present for him!

Not always. In our house, we always use our bestest plates and the gold looking cutlery set I got with my voucher points from the BP garage.

The white meat looks really nice set against the plates and the gold cutlery.......

Remember folks, a capon isn't just for Xmas............................. but it is best !

Archived