Complete France Forum

Pastry for mince pies

Cat71

I've made several jars of mincemeat for mince pies but would like to make my old style of pastry. This was a tradtional mix of 50 percent Trex (vegetable fat) and 50 percent margarine or butter. I don't like lard and just can't seem to find vegetable fat. I did buy a block of fat used for making chips but it didn't work well at all. The ready made pastries are very good here but I still prefer my home made pastry for mince pies.

Has anyone got a really good pastry recipe for mince pies?

Thanks,

Catherine

PG - would this be like crisco??  I have been using butter to make my pie crusts here, but it is never as supple as that bad stuff, Crisco.  I had tried a couple of the "odd" products near the butter, but they were nothing like crisco.  Is vegeline?

I'll look for vegeline tomorrow. Trex was just brilliant being so light and fluffy.  

PossumGirl, I've just been looking at your blog. I started one about daily life and cookery here in Burgundy which I have just tagged onto our website but yours is so professional! I'm assuming it is a special programme.

Catherine (See Catherine's blog)

I vaguely recall seeing the vegeline name.  Perhaps it was in Auchan.  I will look in our LeClerc and Auchan.  It makes pastries so much nicer.  We don't get the buttermilk product here that you get either.  Can't remember the name, starts with an R I think.  Oddly enough, it showed up at our LeClerc about a week after that thread was posted.  I actually recognized it from the forum.  However, it has never been on the shelf again.  Auchan doesn't carry it either. 

Hopefully I will have better luck with the Vegeline.

Thanks.

So good to know PG.  I'm sure it will show up again one day !  I will freeze it then.

Enjoy the powder.  My Mom is supposed to be visiting in 2007.  I will have her bring me some then.

In the meantime, I settle for Lait Fermente or a small yogurt nature.

We picked up this recipe, posted by Teamed Up, on the forum about 5 years ago and have used it ever since - as have a lot of our friends.

It makes a very nice pastry but I am not the mince pie maker merely the messenger, so am not looking to get shot!  

Pre heat oven to 200 deg C.

6 ozs SR flour

3ozs softened butter

250gram tub of marscopone cheese cut straight across and use half.

Pinch of salt

For those who can, rub in the butter then mix in the marscopone and keep working it until it looks like a ball of pastry.

For those who can't, stick the lot in the food processor put it on slow first and then work up to fast until it is all mixed together.

Make sure there is plenty of flour on your board and roll out to about 1/8 inch thick.

[quote user="Chas"]

We picked up this recipe, posted by Teamed Up, on the forum about 5 years ago and have used it ever since - as have a lot of our friends.

It makes a very nice pastry but I am not the mince pie maker merely the messenger, so am not looking to get shot!  

[/quote]

I was just about to post the same thing, Chas!   This is an excellent pastry, really easy to make, it doesn't stick to the rolling pin or anything, and it's very, very nice.

Mascarpone is easily available in French supermarkets.

I'm definitely going to try the mascapone cheese pastry but I don't always have mascapone it in my fridge. I have a strange feeling the vegeline was the stuff I used before and it didn't work well so if any one finds anything similar to Trex, please let me know.

Thank you.

Catherine

[quote user="Hoddy"]I'd just like to endorse Teamedup's recipe for marscapone pastry. It is perhaps a little more difficult to handle than some others, but the results are wonderful. I miss her. [/quote]

I thought it was the world's easiest pastry to handle, Hoddy!   Mix it, roll it, no problems whatsoever.

I think she should come back too. 

[quote user="Cat71"]

I hope TeamedUp returns! But from where? Is it so far away?

[/quote]

Geographically, no.......... [:)]

Dick, if you will excuse me a brief Douglas Adams moment, peace be unto him, TU is Mostly Harmless.    No, I mean she's Mostly Fine.   Maybe even Completely Fine.   Her pastry is certainly Very Fine.    

Archived