Complete France Forum

English Christmas Pudding

Afy

I think Matthew Walker makes the best Christmas puddings.

http://www.traditional-christmas-puddings.co.uk/start.html

As for the nonsense about political correctness I just wonder who makes the rules. When I worked in a multi ethnic school I used to receive as many Christmas cards from Sikhs and Moslems as I did from other kids. We didn't cut out Christmas; we celebrated Eid and Diwali and Chinese New Year and everyone felt they had been treated with respect.

All banning Christmas decoration does is cause resentment.

IMHO.

Hoddy

Hoddy:  I looked at their website, but it says that their online shopping is not running yet.  Do you know if they ship to France?  The website says they ship to countries all over the world.  I guess I will send off an email to ask them if they have a location in France or if they will ship to private individuals in France.  Just thought you might know.

I love this type of dessert, but have never attempted to make it myself.  Looks to delicate - perhaps not.

Also didn't notice any prices on the website.

This political correctness about Christmas makes my blood boil.   Who says it offends other faiths?  And what if it does, Christians have a right to celebrate their own faith in a Christian country.  One of the nicest Christmas cards we ever received (along with one of the most beautifully wrapped presents) was from the Iranian embassy in London when my husband used to do work there.  My only disappointment was that as I shook the box I was imagining all sorts of exotic middle-eastern treats as the gift when in fact it turned out to be a box of Black Magic chocolates![:(]

A couple of years ago a friend (sic) gave us a Wilkin & Sons Ltd (Tiptree jam co) Plum Pudding. As I am not particularly fond of plum pud it has lain uneaten in our larder. I now discover that it is "best by" 1996 - will I dispose of the famous Di if she eats it or has it, like me, improved with age ?

John

not

I would open it, pierce some holes with a skewer and 'feed' it with alchohol of your choice.........just in case it has gone dry, but in theory I think it should be OK.

Afy, I noticed in my local Waitrose they have puddings by 'carved angel' they come in a real ceramic basin and are wrapped up with a proper pudding cloth. If you are in the UK for a couple of weeks you may be able to arrange delivery. John Lewis may have them too.

They are actually very easy to make - the only pain in the *** is the time it takes to steam them (6 hours!!).  We make ours every year and it is part of the christmas ritual for our kids to 'stir the pudding and make a wish'

Leith's cookery bible has an excellent fat free recipe (called 'Light Christmas Pudding') which is really moist and tastes wonderful.  Recipe has no sugar and just a tablespoon of clear honey.

Kathie

Archived