Complete France Forum

coffee maker

Patf

[quote user="WJT"]

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have the bialetti but I have never used it.  After reading that Blanche Niege waters it down to make a larger cups, 

NO, when I use the bialetti it is for making expresso type coffee. For the weaker coffee for breakfast then I use the filter papers and filter gadget that sits on top of any coffee pot or tea pot come to that[:)].

I may give it a try tomorrow. I agree with Blanche Niege about the cups as well, strange that it makes a difference but it does.  

I like coffee for breakfast served in bowls as well.

KathyC, how do you make coffee in a pot like you would tea? [:$]

A French friend of mine sometimes boils the coffee with water in a saucepan and then brings it to the table and strains it into the cups![8-|]

[/quote]

The above is "what I do in France" oddly enough as soon as I return to the U.K. I return to the instant coffee unless making it for visitors. I do use those large green Apilco cups though and they seem to make a huge difference to the taste.

Thanks for the information, now I understand. I won't be using the filter with the bialetti.[:)]

I have never thought about it before but boiling the coffee and straining it is the same as using a cafatierre, so now I understand what KathyC meant as well. [:$]

I don't think I could get the hang of using a bowl for my coffee the French way. However, I have mugs that I like to use that are like bowls with handles.[:)] I also drink instant a lot in the UK but don't own any Apilco cups, perhaps that's the reason for the taste, and I always blamed the coffee.[:D]

• 2 weeks later...
The trouble with percolateurs and such is that they boil the water. You shouldn't make coffee with boiling water. It spoils the delicate aromas and thingies. Espresso machines, though more expensive, heat the water to below boiling point. Does Camp Coffee still have a Gordon Highlander on the front?

Feeling a bit annoyed today, as I saw some really cheap glass flask coffee makers and even a red enamel percolater in the market this morning. Just when I've bought an italian one on ebay and can't get it to work! Pat.

I've heard the expression 'Coffee boiled is coffee spoiled' but I don't agree.  I always pour boiling (not boiled) water onto the grounds as I think this releases all the oils and aromas rather than destroying them.  When making coffee in a pot, before serving, put a spoonful of very cold water in the top.  This miraculously draws the grounds to the bottom.  An ex- chef at the Savoy told me this trick

Archived