Complete France Forum

French meat!

Jonzjob

Well here is the bloody Guinea Pig that's bin buying, cooking, eating it for the past 3 yearz. My OH, who is a much better cook than I is underwhelmed by the stuff!

All I want to know is why the pork, beef, veal, lamb, etc. is so very wet! Not just from the S.markets, but also from 'good' butchers and bio source meat providers. All bloody W E T!!!

But this is meat from the farms, good butchers, organgic suppliers, just everywhere. We ain't bought frozen meat since we arrived, 3 years ago. it just all seems to be wet!

Perhapse we should try a frozen NZ lamb shoulder???

Its done by fresh meat suppliers to im afraid , I worked for a very short time (as I couldnt stand it ) in the abbitouir(SP?) where they did this, they jus put more into frozen meat cos it cant seep back out again until brought . but its amazing how much fresh meat can hold to , an average joint of beef can hold 2 pints before it starts to seep back out . 

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

[/quote]

My late MIL always used to be very derogatory about NZ lamb - "fatty", she used to say.  She was a lovely lady, but was a bit set in her ways.

To be frank, when faced with €25 for a whole French leg of lamb and half that for a frozen NZ one, I know what I buy.

Defrosted, thoroughly trimmed & jointed, I can make loads of nice lamb steaks for the barbeque and the trimmings go well for several good portions of lamb curry (which I then freeze after cooking).  When marinated in wine, olive oil and fresh rosemary (or certainly if curried), I challenge anybody to tell the difference.

To return to the original question, I'm not at all sure that I see that much of a difference between here and the UK in terms of 'wetness' in meat.

Quality: yes.  At it's best, superior to the UK, but you pay for it.  At the other end of the scale, we've bought some really manky stuff that was a waste of time. 

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

But this is meat from the farms, good butchers, organgic suppliers, just everywhere. We ain't bought frozen meat since we arrived, 3 years ago. it just all seems to be wet!

[/quote]

Sorry, but I don't agree, and don't understand how meat you are buying from local farmers can possibly be 'wet' when it is cooked, if you are buying it straight off the farm. I find most of the meat here needs longer cooking than the equivilent in the UK because it is more dense, often slightly older before slaughter and of a better quality. The lamb I get from our neighbour might not be as 'meaty' as in the UK, but the taste is infinitely better.

No problem with the meat from our local Carrefour. Have never been disappointed and won't buy anywhere else.Even find the quality much better than the UK.

Have in the past been tempted to buy elsewhere but found the same as Jonzjob try to fry a steak and you end up boiling it instead.

Thanks, Rob Roy for confirming for me that the French cuts of meat take longer to cook!!  I thought I was going mad!!  To do the hubby a medium rare steak I am cooking it for nearly twice as long as I used to - unless one of the cats got to it first & tenderised it a little!! [:D]

Archived