Complete France Forum

Buying your eggs with open eyes

Clair

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]if you give me the French words, I will learn them by heart and then I'll say it too![/quote]
It could go like this...

Sweet 17: " Bonjour, vous avez des œufs de poule élévées en plein air?"
Stall holder:" Oui, bien sûr! Tous nos œufs vienent de poule élévées en plein air!"
S17: " Mais vos œufs sont marqués avec un 3! Ça veut dire qu"ils viennent de poules en cages, pas en plein air!!"
SH:" Ah bon? Mais comment vous avez ça? Pourtant, ils m'ont dit que les poules étaient dehors! Vous les voulez?
S17:" Sûrement pas! Je ne veux pas encourager cette production! Si vous n'avez pas d'œufs marqués 0 ou 1, je vais acheter ailleurs!"

The End! [:D]
[/quote]

Clair, can we have the next instalment now, please?

SH: Alors, allez vous-en!  Monsieur l'Agent, cette personne m'agace!  Faites arrestation, tout de suite!

S17: M'aide, Clair, m'aide!  Explique les circonstances à Monsieur l'Agent, vite, vite!

Je ne veux pas allez à la prison!

Et après.....................? 

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="J.R.gone native"][/quote]
J.R.
As well as the production code, every egg sold must carry a unique producer code for traceability. This is not a new ruling, this came into force on 1st Jan. 2004.
If you know how your farmers' eggs are produced, that's fine, but the reality of it is that if the eggs you buy do not have a code, they are not meant to be sold.

[/quote]

Clair, I think my eggs come out of somewhere near to the hens bum [6], it is just a typical village farm, no battery houses and not many chickens, I very much doubt that they are free range and they would not want to be in this weather.

I agree that they are not meant to be sold but surely that is true of anything that mother nature makes? joking aside I buy lots of fruit, veg, eggs and even meat direct from the farmers I do hope that no eurocrat is going to try and stop them because the eggs arent stamped or the veg is the wrong shape or no batch traceability for the meat.

The eggs  taste great though and cost less than the supermarket ones (which still taste better than the ones I buy in the UK) many come with double yokes which is probably a regional thing as many of the rustauds have two heads [:D] I blame it on the high concentration of lead shrapnel in the ground from WW1.

Can one not rely on taste to choose ones food, animals that are fed and reared properly always seem to taste much better to me.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"]Et après.....................? [/quote]
You'll probably be thrown out of the country for sedition![:-))]
[/quote]

Thanks, Clair.  And I thought you were a friend...............[8-)]

I am having real problem getting my hens to print those numbers on the eggs.

What inks are used? Is it tampo printed or ink jet? Can I have the PMS number, it is important to know whether it is for coated, uncoated or matt. How do you make allowance for the colour of the egg? Maybe the inks are not transparent which will ruin my plans to add colourful designs.

I need help...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Dog"]I need help...[/quote]
Admitting it is the first step. Well done [:)]
[/quote]

I have done the three step and where did it get me, nowhere, my shoe size in earth with bars around me. My voice speaks words even in silence.

Perhaps I'll try another dance or have another pils.

[quote user="teapot"]

In these Green efficiency times, would it not be more ecologically sound to have.......

Rechargeable battery hens? [:D][:)][:D]

[/quote]

I have solar chickens they spend all day in the sun and go for long walks, no electricity necessary.

Archived