Complete France Forum

Best time of year to move?

I guess by definition I'm asking the wrong group of people, but does anyone have a clear idea of the best time of year to move between France and the UK?

UK to France is fairly obvious - if you move in August, you get four and a bit months in each tax jurisdiction because of the different year-ends, but a full year's allowances to set against your income during those periods.

Going from France to UK, does this still make sense (7.5 months in each jurisdiction)? Or, if you move before the end of June, do you count as non-resident in France for that calendat/tax year since you're there for less than six months? In that case, does income during that period disappear into a black hole for tax purposes? Or is there a French equivalent of the P85 tax form, which has to go from HMRC to the French tax authorities before they will release you?

I would just say that it depends as to how much you earn in France that will influence this.

We should have moved at the end of March to get the best advantage, but in fact we moved at the end of February. Ofcourse when you return to the UK at the beginning of April then you start the new tax year.

Our problem was that husband's company was going to pay a big lump towards removal costs which used to be just paid 'like that'. However, France's delightful president now has such payments included with the salary and cotisations have to be paid and CSG etc etc, as does impot sur le revenue if you don't watch out. I simply used the impots web site and worked when we would be better off. And you should do the same.

We were going to be paying french PAYE 'retenue a la source' on french income when we left and there is no messing with that, you get simply get 'had'. In consequence I never even looked into having to pay tax to leave, I do know it was done in the past, but it didn't really concern us. Should be on the french impots web site, or maybe will be indicated on the UK french embassy's web site or service public.fr web site, or something like that, try googleing.

Archived