Complete France Forum

This should make the French turn in their grave

Quillan

I was watching Piers Morgan on TV the other night, the program was called Piers Morgan on Shanghai.

It seems the upwardly mobile young people of Shanghai enjoy French wine. none of the cheap and cheerful stuff for them, only the best will do. Apparently they don't like the taste (!) so the in thing is........ wait for it......... is to mix it 50/50 with Coke a Cola. God the French would turn in their grave if they ever found out. I would dread to think how the French wine producers would react after getting over their initial horror.

There's no accounting for taste. If the Chinese like it that way, why should we get snobbish about it?

As long as the wine producers get their profit I am sure they will not be too concerned. To my mind it could be better to enjoy the wine, even mixed with Coke, than to just let it gather dust for 50 years or more and deteriorate in the name of so-called 'investment'.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I was watching Piers Morgan on TV the other night, the program was called Piers Morgan on Shanghai.

It seems the upwardly mobile young people of Shanghai enjoy French wine. none of the cheap and cheerful stuff for them, only the best will do. Apparently they don't like the taste (!) so the in thing is........ wait for it......... is to mix it 50/50 with Coke a Cola. God the French would turn in their grave if they ever found out. I would dread to think how the French wine producers would react after getting over their initial horror.

[/quote]

What initial horror?  The wine producers would rub their hands in glee, put up prices even more and possibly start learning Chinese.

After all, in a world of fierce competition with the New World producers, not to mention countries like Hungary, a market consisting of millions of wealthy punters must be a godsend?

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

What initial horror?  The wine producers would rub their hands in glee, put up prices even more and possibly start learning Chinese.

After all, in a world of fierce competition with the New World producers, not to mention countries like Hungary, a market consisting of millions of wealthy punters must be a godsend?

[/quote]

You clearly don't understand the mentality of French vignerons..

They are not in the least interested in the market and what it wants.

In jargon they are 'supply-driven' not 'demand-driven'

It's the old story of the French and American ladies of easy virtue.

On asked their name and price, the French girl said

"I am Fifi, and it is 500 euros"

The American girl said "Call me what you want and we can discuss the price"

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
You clearly don't understand the mentality of French vignerons..
They are not in the least interested in the market and what it wants.
In jargon they are 'supply-driven' not 'demand-driven'

It's the old story of the French and American ladies of easy virtue.

On asked their name and price, the French girl said
"I am Fifi, and it is 500 euros"
The American girl said "Call me what you want and we can discuss the price"
[/quote]

Perhaps I don't understand their mentality, Norman, but, I tell you what, I have lost count of the number of bottles of claret (because I live near Bordeaux) that I used to chuck down the sink.

In these straightened times, I do pour the undrinkable wine into containers and freeze it for cooking with!

Now, we only buy wine that we have tasted or that has been recommended to us and, of course, there's always Chilean and South African wine of a consistent quality (if not exactly top notch to a connoiseur like yourself) from Lidl's![:-))]

Time was when I would go into a restaurant and ask the sommelier or patron to recommend a nice bottle of Beaune and order that without anxiety.........now, I first look at the price and then I decide if I really, really want to pay that sort of price for what is after all a very momentary pleasure!

[quote user="woolybanana"]

now, I first look at the price and then I decide if I really, really want to pay that sort of price for what is after all a very momentary pleasure!

Oh dear or dear oh dear, Sweet 17, must discussions about food always come down to sex?????

[/quote]

One thing's for sure, Wools, if you have to pay for sex, you might as well pay for the wine that you drink, even if it's a bit over the top.

But, don't they say that ALL pleasure has to be paid for, one way or another?

It would appear its a summer drink....a chilled red  wine spritzer instead of using 7-up or Sprite use coke .....Serve clilled ...called " Calimochos  "   from Spain ...appears a lot of young  people like it  they use the cheapest red wine for these ..... I will now have to taste one  ...The  word is "Dont knock it till you have tried it ...

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Gardian"].[:(][/quote]

Never mind I am off to have a nice 18 year with a liberal splash of coke. [;-)]

[/quote]

Famous last words for a certain ex-celeb [6]

Just keep well away from the swimming pool Quillan and you should be OK [;-)]

Archived