Complete France Forum

Beaujolais nouveau

ericd

Today is the day..........3rd jeudi de novembre..............Do you do Beaujolais Nouveau ????  Am at CDG airport on my way back and will make sure I buy a couple bottles for tonight me and the missus as it is now near impossible to find it around where we are.

As every year, this evening I will be going to an event in London hosted by a large French organisation that has BN brought over from France (i.e. the stuff for French consumption, with proper green labels on the bottle caps, rather than the inferior stuff that is exported). Sometimes this has been very good, other times less so, but perfectly drinkable, and as always it improves after the first two or three glasses.

I'll let you know.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Why'd you want to drink that? Not being rude, honestly!  Please explain the finer points of this beaujolais nouveau tradition to this ignorant foreigner.[/quote]

The wine of the year, when you were sunnying yourself on the beach last summer, that wine was still grapes. The tradition has been around for as long as I remember "Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé" and as all traditions it has to be followed.......tric or treat, penny for the guy, fireworks in November where cloud cover is such that 80% of the time there is nothing to see, Christmas cake you are still eating at Easter, stupid paper hats for Christmas dinner etc. etc. .......you know, tradition.

The origins of BJ come from a great marketing coup orchestrated just after WWII, you just have to look at all the other wine producers doing the same.

Archived