Complete France Forum

Forced rhubarb

Clair

With a new garden patch to experiment on, we successfully divided and transplanted an old rhubarb plant (I have been told it was 30 years old... [blink]) late last year.

I placed a covered chimney pot over the new plants as soon as the leaves started appearing and we had out first forced rhubarb of the year for diner yesterday.

[quote user="Clair"]With a new garden patch to experiment on, we successfully divided and transplanted an old rhubarb plant (I have been told it was 30 years old... [blink]) late last year.

I placed a covered chimney pot over the new plants as soon as the leaves started appearing and we had out first forced rhubarb of the year for diner yesterday.

[/quote]

I had first batch out of the garden yesterday, not forced and absolutely huge sticks this year.

After many attempts at digging ours up, I noticed it was well away before we left UK a couple of weeks ago. It seems that just the tiniest bit of root is enough to allow it to continue - a bit like bindweed! I like rhubarb, especially in dishes such as crumble, but our sons hate it, and OH was told not to eat it after his last bout of kidney stones.

Archived