Complete France Forum

Gas ovens and soggy bottoms

idun

I am having real problems with my new gas oven.

It cooks some things well, however, my baking is paying the price of me not understanding how to use it well, OR that gas cookers just don't 'bake' very well.

My merangues are molles and I have for the very first time ever had soggy bottoms on my pies, tonight I baked until the tops were too well cooked, but the bottoms were only just cooked. This is truly castrophic for me, and must be remedied ASAP.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is it possible to bake meringue in a gas oven?

AND how do I not get a soggy bottom on a pie?

Very unusual for you to have baking "flops" idun.

Pastry is something I'm not good at, and I never make meringues, so can't offer specific advice.

The only points I can make is that british gas ovens have burners at the back, as opposed to french gas ovens which have burners in the base. And pastry needs to be baked in a pre-heated hot oven (which I'm sure you know.)

At least I have alternative electric ovens here, one in the garage and one in the utility room, but I would rather use my new one if I get away with it.

The burners are at the bottom at the back and it is a Cannon Cooker and was not cheap and I do preheat too.

Cooking is the 'thing' I usually do very well, I'm not always good at other things in life, so this is not good.

My French gas oven (20+ years old now) tends to burn the bottom of things- completely the opposite of yours, Idun! To the extent that I always put a wodge of tinfoil on the bottom shelf, below the shelf I am baking on, to try and diffuse the heat a bit.

I have never dared try meringues in it...

Angela

[:)] So it could be a soggy bottom or a burnt bottom. That is really what I didn't want to hear.

My egg custard had a soggy bottom too, it is demoralising to put all that love and effort into baking and it to be awful.

Thankyou AlexH. I have tried top and bottom of the oven already, but not a pizza stone. I don't think I should need one and as one of the people said, they are a pastry chef and tried a caste iron pot heated up, which I believe should have worked.

Next stop Cannon, and ask why I will be losing my good baking repuation because of their oven. Sweet 17 once I have sorted this out, we'll try and sort your soggy bottom problem out too, no one should be living with soggy bottoms.

If I could spell, it would change my life. Add to that my typos and I am a lost cause, what I can do is cook.

And I do know how to remedy my soggy bottoms even in my gas ovens, but it'll be a lot more work and I want my gas oven to work like all my other ovens.

[quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="idun"]I am having real problems with my new gas oven. My merangues are molles ......[/quote]

Try to bake meringues instead, it might work much better.....[:D]

[/quote]

Welcome to the Real Forum, Eric!

Yes, I know you've been with us a while but you were always too serious.  Now, you can make fun of posters and show a side of your irreverent nature, it's going to be a lot more fun, reading your posts![:D][:P]

[quote user="idun"] And I do know how to remedy my soggy bottoms ...... [/quote]

Good, glad you have found some Pilates classes nearby.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="ericd"]

[quote user="idun"]I am having real problems with my new gas oven. My merangues are molles ......[/quote]

Try to bake meringues instead, it might work much better.....[:D]

[/quote]

Welcome to the Real Forum, Eric!

Yes, I know you've been with us a while but you were always too serious.  Now, you can make fun of posters and show a side of your irreverent nature, it's going to be a lot more fun, reading your posts![:D][:P]

[/quote]

Sweet, sorry if you had mistaken me for someone serious.....I try not to miss a good joke if I can. I would not normally offend people by mentioning their spelling errors but in this case it fitted rather well. [:D]

Well I did a search for  a 'saggy bawd board' and this came up as one of the replies on google.

bawd n. Very old fashioned term for a rub-a-tug shop

What an hilarious term and so sweet really, as it doesn't even sound rude.

[quote user="idun"]Why man, I said 'soggy' not 'saggy' that is for quite another thread and probably quite another board[:$][/quote]

Actually, idun, of the two, wouldn't you prefer to have a saggy bottom than a soggy one (yuk)?