Complete France Forum

Salads

idun

In the news over the last day or so, it would seem that the germans have given up eating salads.

In the news it said that in France they could not sell their cucumbers, but I didn't see mention of other salady foods.

So what is a salad to you all. I know that a salad in France, will just usually be lettuce leaves with a dressing, salade verte in fact, much to a few english friends surprise that there really was nothing other than the leaves and dressing on their plates.

I don't mind a salade verte or endives with a good dressing. I  don't mind cooked green beans, cold with a good dressing either.

However, I am partial to the most simple of salade compose. So the leaves, either lettuce or endive or green beans, with walnuts and cheese aux choix. Or with crispy lardons and cheese aux choix. Even smoked salmon, with cheese aux choix. And all served with vinaigrette.

Sometimes I do make a nicoise which is the most complicated salad I make, but I make it as a meal, as it really is too copious to be a starter, for me, at least.

And yes, I am still buying salad things, but not cucumber as I usually don't use cucumber.It'll take a little more than a scare in Germany to scare me off for the time being.

In the garden we've got lettuce (2 kinds) onions, small green peppers and even a few small beetroot plus courgettes. So all I buy is tomatoes, and wash them thoroughly.

We have "salad" every day with dinner, whatever it is.

A nice dressing is an improvement though.

I remember you saying.

So what do you do when you get invited to a french household and they give you a salad starter, or course?

Ah yes Patf, a dressing is the thing, well for me it is.

[quote user="idun"]

I remember you saying.

So what do you do when you get invited to a french household and they give you a salad starter, or course?

[/quote]Quietly pass it on to the o/h when nobody's looking.   Or just leave it and let them infer that I'm a nutty Brit (which they already know.)

On reflection, the salad usually turns up with the cheese so I just pass it on and eat the cheese (protein, good![:P])

Archived