Complete France Forum

Smoke Alarms

I thought this had been covered, but I can't find it with a search.

On a circular I've had from the bank this morning it says that smoke alarms are going to be compulsory for all French properties from March 2015.

Hoddy

Yes this rings a bell (if you'll pardon the pun). I have smoke detectors and a CO2 detector bought over from UK, good old Screwfix! When I last looked they were much more expensive here for exactly the same thing. I was wondering how many are actually going to install these?

All my french friends and neighbours have had them for years now due to us bringing them back for them. Unirversally agreed that they were a good idea, and just seemed to expensive years ago. They did come down in price in France later, but I have no idea as to how dear they are now.

When I last looked some few years ago I noted that the smoke detectors sold at local bricos used a photo-beam type smoke detector whereas the ones I brought over in 2001 from the U.K. used a chamber being next to radioactive material which produced an ionizing effect so that the conduction of the open chamber changed when smoke entered. I wonder if the French allow the sale of this type using ionising radiation and are they still being sold in the U.K. now? From experience, we have both types, I would say that the ionising type are more sensitive but several sites indicate the opposite. Do the U.K. models comply with French health and safety regs?..............JR

Geiger-Müller counter? The one I took apart had a little radioactive symbol on the chamber..........JR

PS Found this information. Check to see if the detector has a small radioactive symbol, or states that it contains americium-241 or Radium-226. If so, you are likely to have an ionisation detector.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]Yes this rings a bell (if you'll pardon the pun). I have smoke detectors and a CO2 detector bought over from UK, good old Screwfix! When I last looked they were much more expensive here for exactly the same thing. I was wondering how many are actually going to install these?[/quote]

I've installed 3; one in kitchen ; one in lounge ; one at top of stairwell. All make intermittent squeaks to indicate battery 9 volt needs changing.

Archived