Complete France Forum

flour

Dave&Olive

I have so many bags of flour in use I just try to maximise their uses.

I find the T55 or T65 plain flour I use for bread making is perfect for cakes, so I just need to get the packs of levure chimique rather than add to my collection of flours!

You know, idun, there was someone on the Forum called memb who posted the recipe for the scones her grandmother used to make.  I have used her recipe ever since and they are always such a success that I am nervous about doing anything else.

Prior to memb's advice, my scones were always iffy and I could never depend on them.

Yes, I know that, however, it is the quantities in the mix that change the taste in scones. I've never tasted scones that are so good as these.

LOL looked at what it said and the quantities are the same, only the taste is different when using the 'raw' ingredients instead of baking powder. I know as I have tried using both.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

You know, idun, there was someone on the Forum called memb who posted the recipe for the scones her grandmother used to make.  I have used her recipe ever since and they are always such a success that I am nervous about doing anything else.

Prior to memb's advice, my scones were always iffy and I could never depend on them.

[/quote]

Stick with it then sweet17.

But here is the recipe I use, so you could 'try' it too?

8oz plain flour

pinch salt

half teaspoon of bicarb (that is flattened onto the spoon)

1 rounded teaspoon of cream of tartar

1 and a half ozs of butter

1oz sugar

1-1 and a half oz of dried fruit or cherries

bare  quarter pint of milk

Put oven on to just over 200°c

Flour salt bicard and cream of tartar in bowl, rub in butter,

stir in sugar and fruit

add the milk, of a quarter of a pint, there should be a touch left

Knead lightly. Then roll out, I just use my palm to pat it down to half and inch thick. Cut into  2" rings. brush with some milk or egg or don't

Bake in hot oven for 12 minutes. Mine never take any longer;

They don't keep as actually there is next to nothing in them, they are quick to make and quick to eat.

Thanks for the recipe, idun.  I did write out a response last night and I must have fallen asleep between writing it and pushing the post button, lol!

Anyway, I might have a go at your scones later.  Am a bit behind with everything all day as OH couldn't take the dog out this morning and, when I took her out, it took us forever to get home as she was huffing and panting in the heat.

Off in a mo to watch the tennis but I do have the bicarb and the cream of tartar and I am looking forward to trying out the scones.  Got to have the oven on later as I am cooking stuffed peppers for dindins.  So, scones should be on stream.....yum.

It has been very hot here too for the last few days, but today it is wonderful and cooler. I just cannot stand the heat, well, in the kitchen I can[:-))] Hope that your scones turn out as I have said. Watch the timing, as it is 12 minutes, just, well for me it is.[;-)]

idun, the scones were scrumptious.

I see what you mean about an old fashioned taste to your scones.  The texture is much fluffier and looser than my usual ones.  I think this is because they "spread" more in the baking as the scones were noticeably bigger than my previous ones even though I used my usual scone cutter.

I particularly liked your tip about just patting the dough to the right thickness.  I'd never thought of doing that but, when I thought about it, there's no reason to use a rolling pin at all.

Incidentally, I don't glaze scones now, not since memb contention that glazing makes them soft and, if you want a bit of a crust, it's best not to glaze and not to grease the tray.

I'm going to make cheese scones next time, using bicarb and cream of tartar.  As you know, I'm not much of a one for sweet things.

Works for cheese ones too.

Re the patting out. Why dirty a rolling pin? A scone is a little rustique non? so it goes well having a slightly uneven top[8-|]. And yes they do rise well. Even when glazed, they are still have a slight crunch, or at least mine have.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Clair"]1 level teaspoon of baking powder to 115g / 4oz of flour.

1 sachet of levure chimique to 500g of plain flour.

[/quote]

I'll say sorry in advance as I think I'm being a bit dim but does this mean 1 teaspoon of BP to 4oz of SELF RAISING flour?

I still bring flour over when ever I can and I know I'm being daft as I can buy perfectly good flour over here... I think until know it's been a case of sticking to what I know.  However, I have come to the conclusion that I have to stop and when my current supply is gone that's it...  If it is as simple as the measures above then I'll have no problems [:$]

so just to clarify... if I buy farine du gateaux (without any agent) would I add one sachet to 500g of this flour? 

Also - is baking powder and levure chimique the same thing?  Or are they both different kinds of raising agent?  And would I still use them both if a recipe asks for SR flour and Baking Powder?  And if they are different what is baking powder called in France?

I have no idea why this is so difficult for me - sorry... I've wanted to get this sorted for ages but to be honest always felt a bit embarrassed to ask such simple questions [blink] [:$]

Don't feel embarrassed as it is perfectly OK to ask.

I used to buy France Farine avec levante dedans, or something like that. And I would add a little baking powder to my cake mix if I was using a mixer. I always do if I am using a mixer instead of mixing by hand.  If using plain flour then yes, use a full sachet as instructed. Levure chimique is baking powder.

Rose, farine à gateaux normally has poudres à lever incorporée.  This is the equivalent of SR flour.

However, as idun has explained, if using a mixer she adds extra baking powder to this flour.  I do too.  And I also add extra baking powder to the farine à gateau when making scones.  (If using idun's scone recipe, then you use plain rather than SR flour and you add cream of tartar and bicarb as per her instructions).

Levure chimique is baking powder and dried yeast is levure boulangère.

Edit:  sorry, Rose, didn't answer your question relating to what Clair said.  She means to add the baking powder or levure chimique to ordinary plain flour in order to make it self-raising.

Hope I've explained it OK? 

You know, idun, I've never realised that.  Whenever I have bought farine à gateau, it's had the levure included in it. I usually buy it from Netto but, even if I buy another brand, I tend to go for the cheaper makes and not necessarily Francine.

Can't say my cakes have suffered as a result.  Whenever a cake hasn't come out as I'd expected, it's usually because of some mistake on my part or when I have been in a rush or when I haven't read the recipe properly. 

Yes farine a gateau is fine.

Just some actually say you can use them in cakes, as in pour gateau, and ofcourse you can, in a fatless sponge for example or by adding levure chimique. So it isn't wrong, it may not be what 'I' would expect. None of my french friends buy french SR flour, they all buy plain flour and add levure chimique, if the recipe needs it, bien sur![8-|]

Archived