Complete France Forum

split red lentils

mint

Hi Sweet!

For quite a while I could only find split red lentils  at the Biocop or sometimes in Carrefour's ' exotique', or whatever it is, aisle, for more than a year though I've bought them in our local Super U, shelved among the rice and pulses.

Been meaning to email you for ages but so far it's been a really busy summer and my organisation has gone all to pot. Hope you're enjoying life in the new house.. 

Sue

Hi, Sue, Biocop in our town has closed down!

How was your trip "down south"?

Oh, how life would be improved with split red lentils!  Seriously, I do an adapted version of the pilgrims' veg stew with a fistful of split red lentils and, once in a blue moon, a red lentil dahl.

Perhaps Dog will know but I haven't heard from him either![:D]

I used to see them a lot before I left in the last few years, I think most of the supermarkets around me sold them. Not sure what they had them with.

I had got out of the habit of using them and would buy the green or brown lentils. I make a dish with them that looks very unappetising, but is delicious, well I think it is!

Come on, id, give us the recipe!  You know you want to?[:P][:D]

Meanwhile here is my adaptation of Patf's lentil bake and the pilgrims' veg dish.  The consistency is between soup and stew and you do need a spoon and fork to eat it.

In a very large, deep pan, fry onions, garlic, peppers (I use 3 colours), carrots (if you have them), courgettes, tomatoes and potatoes.

Add a good sprinkling of herbes de Provence, then some nice salt (I use salt and spices mixture from Noirmoutiers).  Boil kettle and make a stock.  You can use stock cubes but I always use Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon.

When all the veg are well coated with oil (I only use best olive), pour in hot stock (enough to make you think it's a bit too much!) and add a good fistful of split red lentils.  Cover and cook till all veg tender and slightly mushy and lentils have disintegrated.

If wished, you can eat it with a hard-boiled egg on top or a well-grilled tuna steak or a nice, garlic sausage.  My OH does not eat meat and the dish will stand on its own just fine.

Some nice garlic bread goes well with it and a nice glass of something alcoholic never goes amiss.

I must have already given it to be honest. Also really simple.

Cook lentils in salted water. When they are almost cooked, chop an onion finely and put it in the bottom of a colander. When the lentils are cooked drain them using the colander. Stir the onion and lentils and then leave to drip a little for a few minutes. The put into a serving dish and mix in some vinaigrette and taste. As much vinaigrette and salt and pepper as you like. Eat hot or cold.

[quote user="Dog"]Auchan sell'em and the Grand Frais. How did you make your naan in the end?[/quote]

Dog, nowhere near an Auchan and never heard of Grand Frais.[:(]

Haven't made the naan yet but might do a trial run in the next day or two.  Expecting people to come and eat next week and I have promised curry for mains.

There is only one curry that I do but I think it's really, really nice.

5-e, thank you for answering my unasked question!  LOL, you can read my mind, huh?

My favourite lentil dish I call 'lentil slop' if we like dinner we also tell the wifelet 'that was a good bit of slop'.

I will get her recipe for you - I like it on a bed of mash with a layer of greens and the lentil slop on top.

Lentils give you sooo much energy it ain't true.

Clair, merci.

Dog, yes, yes, I look forward to wifelet's recipe!

I like the puy lentils but they don't really disintegrate but I don't like split green lentils as well as I like the red ones.

Sometimes, I buy tinned lentils but I still think the red ones look the nicest....[:D]

Archived