Complete France Forum

Flan

Rose

My son adores flan... he says it's his most favourite thing ever.  Odd choice I reckon but who am I to question [:)]

So, I tried to make one and whilst it's ok it's not great.  He says I need to use gelatine and it will be firmer and it will have the very fine jelly type film on the top of it.  I'm struggling to find a recipe, apart from the one I've tried... anyone got one that they're tried and tested?

many thanks

x

OOh, it's obviously not the same as the "flan maraichin" that is a speciality of the Challans marshes. No gelatine required for that. It's a rather boring egg custard nestling inside what looks like a raised crust - resembling a pork pie without the lid.

Angela

[quote user="Rose"]My son adores flan... he says it's his most favourite thing ever. 
[/quote]

Rose perhaps the flan your son likes are the ones he has at school which may well be industrial, ie, out of a packet. Perhaps you should try an Alsa flan and see what he thinks[6] You can come clean when he says it's ghastly[Www]

Rose do you mean the english flan of a sponge case filled with fruit and jelly ? If so I use to use double the strengh packet jelly mix either 2 packets to 1pint water or one packet to half a pint and allow it to cool but not set before pouring in to the flan case

I think you're right SW17.

Even Elizabeth David in French Provincial Cooking says "most of my sweet recipes are those of very simple French household cooking, " like compotes, creams and fruit tarts.

She also says that this was partly because they could get top quality fancy desserts from the local patisserie.

(But I notice they recently seem to have borrowed some or our favourites eg crumbles.)

And she gives "Les Restes" short shrift too.

Brittany is famous for flan but called Far here, so easy to make with eggs,milk,rum, sugar and flour and sets solid every time. Afficiondos have prunes in it but I hate it so the others eat a litre of it on a sunday usually

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Flan patissier   [/quote]

We buy these ready made in Lidl or wherever, then top up the casing with favourite topping, berries in season etc, served with sploge of Fromage frais . . . Great for salad days when it's a no cooking item.

Oh lovely lovely people... thank you so much for all the information!  I've been away for the weekend hence the delay in replying.

The flan is indeed just like the one in the above photo.  I have to say though that mine improved hugely overnight in the fridge so son was eventually very happy.  He still says that I need to add gelatine as the ones in the shop have a very slight jelly type top.  So I'll try again and add a little to see if it helps.  I also think I need to cook the custard a bit more to help get rid of the floury taste... but all in all I think we're nearly there.

I did see the packets in Carrefour today and almost bought one... but decided to give the recipe one more go.

thank you all though for the help... you're brilliant!

xx

Archived