Complete France Forum

Best potatoes for Gratin Dauphinois?

Daft Doctor

Clair, I still have some Birdseye custard mix if I want "real" custard - although I had never used it during all the decades I was in England.

I hope that Alsa creme anglaise is not too sweet - which is a frequent problem with many of the mixes. Having said that, it occurs to me that I have never used mixes in the past, so I am not speaking from experience!

Sweet, do you mean the Milbona creme fluide in the plastic bottle? I never use it because it's 30% fat, I wouldn't go above 15% unless I make Chantilly. And if I am going to be so decadent as to want Chantilly (on strawberries for instance), then I buy the pschitt one.[blink]

Listen, you two, just pay attention, OK?

If you can't eat up all the cream, you can freeze it.  Yes, it goes a bit grainy but you can still use it to cook with.

As for pschitt lemonade, I make my own but I do admit that I have a secret ingredient.

I have some dried preserved plums (from the Far East), difficult to describe the taste or appearance, but you put a couple of those in the homemade lemonade (fresh lemon juice and sugar syrup), which will take on a slight salty tang and is nectar on earth!  Me, although nectar is supposed to be the drink of the gods, I wouldn't dream to giving the gods any![:D]

No, they are completely dried, nothing sugary about them but salty and plummy![:D]

Sorry, id, can't remember what exactly they are called but I have a very small pot of them left.

I might even dry some plums in the oven, sprinkled with salt.  Might also be nice with, for example, sausage casserole or similar?

I didn't taste them, I thought that the white cristally appearance was sugar, but ofcourse it could have been salt. So how are they not like prunes, then? or are they?

Unless, I really cannot get hold of any, and am out in my freezer, I always make my sweet and sour sauce with plums in it. In fact I wouldn't dream of having other fruit in it.

Are those umeboshi plums, Sweet? Although, those are  normally not dry, but preserved with perilla leaves (shi-so). I love those - and have recently discovered that I accidentally bought a potted plant of purple shi-so leaves, which I keep munching.

I had no idea you could freeze cream!![:'(] Next time somebody tries to say I am wasting valuable, real-life time trawling the forums, I can tell them what an amazing source of information it can be![;-)] 

As S17 said, it can go grainy, so I would always make ice cream with cream, in fact as my husband is away at the moment, I'm going to have to use up the cream that won't get used. I prefer to do it this way, I thought that you did too 5E?

Grainy doesn't sound good, so I probably won't bother. Idun, I go through phases of making ice-cream, and through phases of banning ice-cream in the house[6]. If I make "ice-cream"., I try to use as little cream as possible, or low-fat cream - in fact it often is frozen yogourt more than it is ice-cream, as I find real ice-cream much too rich. I make something in between sorbet et ice-cream (sorbet is good but again, you need to use so much sugar for it to work!)

[quote user="5-element"]If you are at a French dinner party, and the atmosphere is a bit flat, you can rely on livening it up by asking: "How do you make a real gratin Dauphinois?" - there are some passionate purists about that, and it hardly ever fails to provoke sometimes heated debates...[:D][/quote]

I will most certainly use this subject as a forum for discussion at my next English class when I return to France in October.

[quote user="5-element"]

Next time somebody tries to say I am wasting valuable, real-life time trawling the forums, I can tell them what an amazing source of information it can be![;-)] 

[/quote]And you meet such nice people too[:D]

Umeboshi plums???[blink]  Is that what they are called?  Blimey, talk about learning things from the Forum.  I googled your plums, 5-e and I am not sure they are the same thing exactly but I bet these plums would work just as well!

They do something to the lemonade, gives it a bit of a salty taste to set of the sweetness of fthe sugar and, also, the plummy bits look so nice in the lemonade that would otherwise look bland![:D]

Me, I LOVE my food to be colourful.  I think that's why I love carrots and red chillies, spring onions, red cabbage, etc.  Just love a dishful of colours!

And I loved these foods before talk of superfoods and antioxidants or whatever......I like texture, colour and mixtures of taste like sweet and sour, sweet and salty, hot and tart, etc. etc.

Sweet, my kind of food too, looking for that elusive "fifth flavour" that comes (if I remember right) from a perfect balance between sour, sweet, salty, hot - a cooking genius friend told me that if you can't get to that 5th flavour, then adding some spicy chorizo could do the trick!

Umeboshi plums used to be a great delicacy when I was (for a while) following a macrobiotic diet. The flavour is very intense, and what a welcome explosion of taste after days of brown rice!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umeboshi and I now see they are also supposed to be a great cure for hangovers.

I say, 5-e, DID you have to mention that they are a "great cure for hangovers"?[:-))]

What makes you think I get hangovers?[:P]

Anyway, I would have been more interested if you'd said that they put you off drinking alcohol because, when you are getting hangovers, you've already drunk too much, right?

Actually, I don't get hangovers as I usually know my limits and know when to stop before the Hangover Zone.

Those plums do look very nice, I must say.

Sweet, that was in no way aimed at you in particular, it was just a bit of information to be shared around, 'cos you might not get hangovers, but I bet some people here do[6].

In fact, I should have mentioned it to the friend who came this morning for a visit, as she DOES get hangovers, and finds getting up before 10 am quite a struggle. Her own remedy for mornings after is: pour boiling water in a cup, over 2 slices of lemon with skin - organic is obviously best - and have that beverage first thing in the morning, and last thing at night. Every day. She swears by it.

Whoops, sorry about thread drift, we are a long way from gratin dauphinois![:P]