Complete France Forum

Double Cream for Whipping

Pammie

I would get any old creme liquid... pop it in a really cold place for a while and then whip it up good'n'proper(with a machine)... that should do the trick.

Dont forget that it will turn back to liquid if it is not kept cold...

[quote user="osie"]I would get any old creme liquid... [/quote]

Not quite...

The cream must be 30% fat minimum for whipping, so low-fat cream (crème allégée) will not work.

Try full-fat crème fraiche or full-fat crème liquide (red top, 35%).

You are correct in that it must be very cold. Some suggest putting the bowl in the freezer 20mn before whipping, too.

Elle et Vire entier Creme liquide was always the most reliable cream I ever used. Most of the supermarkets do their own too.

And I always used Creme Fixe, I never usually used a full sachet, maybe about half a sachet each time.

I'd start whipping the cream and if doing chantilly would add some icing sugar, not too much, I did it au pif, so can't say how much.And then I'd add the creme fixe. And whip it up.

With Creme Fixe or what ever make with a slightly different name, then it will hold enough to put in a layered gateau.

"Creme Fleurette" does it for me.  It's in tiny cartons, near the creme fraiche in my local HyperU.  The one with the red checks rather than the blue checks is the one to go for.   It looks quite thin, and takes ages to whip with an electric beater, but it does eventually work.  Not as stiff as UK double cream though.

Angela

Well add creme fixe then Loiseau, it'll do the trick, and if you over beat, it can turn to butter, just don't use too much creme fixe.

I know how long it takes to beat, when I first moved to France I didn't even possess a whisk, fit young thing I was, I used an old fork to beat everything.  My first summer, I thought I was going to pass out beating at some cream and it not thickening.  I bought an electric whisk the following week and then discovered creme fixe. If I don't use many 'chemicals' in cooking then, this particular one became essential.

It's with the baking things like the levure chimique and hundreds and thousands etc. I think Ancel and Dr Oetker make it. Kreme Fixe or Fixe Chantilly, something like that. It's powder and is in a little box with about three sachets in it.

re: Previous post... >= 30% creme is needed.

As for the Creme Fleurette, I read somewhere that there are additives.  Dont know..

Simple is always the best and so get some real creme...full creme... make it real cold and whisk it lots.

I really like using cream in France and always have some at hand.

thanks Clair, that's one of them. I used to use the one in the blue box.

Re using real creme,  I couldn't get it in France, although I know that in Normandie it is available.

Now, IF you are talking about creme fraiche, then no I wouldn't. I do use it as I put it in my toffee sauce and one icecream I make, but in and on cakes, pastries and trifles, it tastes 'off' to me and spoils things for me.

Archived