Complete France Forum

Glycerine for Cake Icing

Alex H

[quote user="dave21478"]I was clearing out a shed the other day and found a clear glass bottle with "glycerin" on the label. It was a transpart, slightly gloopy substance. Although very old, the label would suggest it came from a French pharmacy.

[/quote]

So, was there a part of the label that had fallen off that maybe said 'Nitro' ?  [6]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

[quote user="dave21478"]I was clearing out a shed the other day and found a clear glass bottle with "glycerin" on the label. It was a transpart, slightly gloopy substance. Although very old, the label would suggest it came from a French pharmacy.

[/quote]

So, was there a part of the label that had fallen off that maybe said 'Nitro' ?  [6]

[/quote]

[:D]

Are there two sorts? I remember using glycerine years ago when preserving various leaves for dried flower arranging. I've also used glycerine from a slocal baking shop for making Delia's chocolate torte. It seems odd if they are both the same!

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Gardengirl, I think Delias chocolate torte (amazing recipe!) uses liquid glucose, not glycerine, a very different animal, expensive and quite hard to find. But worth it! Kathy[/quote]

Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Kathy - another senior moment I think! [:D] And, yes, it's a wonderful recipe. I was just thinking, I might make it for a family gathering next week - if I can get the liquid glucose!

Archived