Complete France Forum

Sacrilege, perhaps?

idun

This week I have guests round to celebrate Burn's night.

Naturally I am making haggis, tatties and neeps. I can eat haggis, it isn't my favourite food and I like mash and neeps. And I know that it should be eaten with a dram or two, well I don't drink a dram, never mind one or two and find this meal very dry.

Is there an acceptable sauce I can make to go with it without upsetting anyone? I'd just put it out in a serving jug, so that people could just help themselves. I had thought of making a whisky sauce?

Or is this just sacrilege and I really should put a pork chop and gravy on 'my' plate?

Do you know that everyone tells me that you never have a sauce with this and I never thought that there really would be, I was just hoping to get away with it.

Thanks, it seems that some do, but the fuss pots I know seems to be against 'sauce'![Www] So I'll make some and put it out and maybe I'll be the only one who has it, but that's OK.

[quote user="idun"]

Do you know that everyone tells me that you never have a sauce with this and I never thought that there really would be, I was just hoping to get away with it.

Thanks, it seems that some do, but the fuss pots I know seems to be against 'sauce'![Www] So I'll make some and put it out and maybe I'll be the only one who has it, but that's OK.

[/quote]

How about a a glass of Iron Brew

I found a recipe on an Aldi leaflet for this week Idun and there's a whisky sauce with it. You need:

1 wine glass water

Half a vegetable stock cube (an Aldi one of course!)

1 small glass whisky

250ml double cream

Place the water, stock cube and whisky into a pan and add black pepper. Bring to the boil for 5-6 min.

Add the cream and re-boil for2 min.

Serve with the haggis, neeps and tatties.

Hope you enjoy your Burns Night Supper.

PS Have you got a copy of the Burns ode to a Haggis?

I don't usually go to Aldi, good parking if you can get in or out of the car park, very bad design.

Ginger biscuits, IF I dare buy them, I buy Ringtons, they are a real treat. Scottish Tablet is a bit like fudge isn't it, a very long time since I have had any and it wouldn't last in this house. I'd have to hide it to take it travelling.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Never heard of him![/quote]You cannot be serious!  Greatest poet who ever lived.  (imho)  You might not think you know Burns but you probably know quite a few Burns quotes.  Some attribute Auld Lang Syne to him but the jury's out on that one.

Put your feet up, light the fire, and treat yourself (free on a Kindle if you have one) - then invite the latest squeeze round - a true romanic, Rabbi - as my o/h refers to him - Burns (and he has a very special birth date.[;-)])

Here you go.  Turn the sound up and enjoy.  A two hankie job.

I'm sorry, I posted on another (French) laptop and the system didn't seem to take my text.

I was replying to the little discussion about tablet - it's not a bit like toffee, more like a granular fudge, and maybe even sweeter. Also the only "sauce" I've seen poured over haggis at a Burns supper is the Scotch "sauce" itself.

FairyNuff

[quote user="FairyNuff"]. I was replying to the little discussion about tablet - it's not a bit like toffee, more like a granular fudge, and maybe even sweeter.  FairyNuff[/quote]Missed that, Fairy.. I love tablet and a right doddle to make.  Can you get condensed milk here.  Maybe I'll make some for our birthday.[:)]

Quite, Frecossais. Wooly, Scotch is what the americans call whisky.  Rabbi is what my o/h calls the great Scots poet - you have to allow for his sense of, er, "humour."[:-))]

Yes, you can get condensed milk very easily, in tins, in tubes to suck on, even flavoured in tubes to suck on. And can I remember what it is called, well I cannot, sorry. But it might be lait concentre sucre, as opposed to evap which is non sucre, if you see what I mean. Nestle make it as do some of the other companies.

I have had this scottish tablet then, I remember. But I think like toffee there are a couple of different types, as there are fudges too.

Archived