Complete France Forum

Using a blender

idun

I love smooth soups, I blend and depending on the soup, for example celery, I also seive it to, to get rid of the stringy bits.

I was talking to a friend last night who told me that I was destroying the fibres in the food when I blended it....... according the the Reader's Digest..... that is.

Many years ago, I started putting porrige oats in the blender and making a flour, which when we were away camping could be made up as quickly as Ready Brek. I asked a nutrionist friend who worked at the hospital if I was damaging any 'goodness' in the oats and she thought not.

You clever people on here, am I damaging the fibres or am I OK to continue liquidising? thankyou

When you blend oats, you're subjecting them to a certain degree of heat, which may be considered as damaging to the natural oils.

Also, the finer the grind, the more quickly it goes rancid, because more surface is exposed to the air, in the same way that ground almonds or wholemeal flour go off more quickly than whole almonds or grain.