Complete France Forum

Crater cakes

idun

Here is one of my own nice little inventions for anyone who would like to try.

You'll need a 12 hole baking tray and the little/normal  paper cases. The rest is quite straight forward. Lovely when eaten warm.

Crater Cakes  12 small

4ozs butter softened

4ozs sugar

3 large eggs beaten

6zs self raising flour

juice of half a lemon

Beat all these ingrediants together

Filling 4ozs mascarpone

Tablespoon of sugar

Rind of one lemon and the juice of half a lemon

Mix these ingrediants together.

Place small paper cases in a cake pan, put a rounded teaspoon of cake mix in each case. Then make a well in this mix. Place half a teapsoon of the mascarpone mix into each well, then when all 12 are done, use up the rest of the cake mix by popping it onto the mascarpone mix.

In a pre heated oven bake at about 160°C  for about 20 minutes, they will rise like volcanoes and when brought out of the oven will form a crater.

If you want to decorate them seive a little icing sugar onto each one.

Bon ap

They sound delicious Idun - remind me a bit of the chocolate pudding with a sponge mix and hot water sauce poured around then baked. My friend used to call it volcano pudding as the sauce burst up through the sponge.

You could make it lemon flavour too.

I've made the pour hot coffee on top cakes. I 've made the lemon things that sort them selves out and have a fluffy top and lush lemon sauce underneath. These aren't like either, just little cakes with a squishy lemony creamy filling.

For those who try, I hope that they turn out and you enjoy them.

Just been and got the ingredients to try these.Will post results as I shall be using Francine Farine Gateaux and not self raising. Is the reason they form craters because of the beating of all the ingredients together rather than creaming and folding like a conventional sponge perhaps. I know when I have used golden syrup in sponge and beaten it it, it has sunk to form a crater.

See what happens when I say something is called a crater cakes, mine didn't 'crater' today, the mascapone sank to the bottom and the tops are beautifully peaked. Taste as they should, just don't look how I was expecting.

And that is the very first time that has happened to me with these. [:-))]

Well I made them and they were delish but, no craters just a full round cake case full of sponge with the creamy centre. Perhaps the french flour makes them react different, or my electric fan oven or the fact I gave the cake mix a good battering and incorporated a great deal of air. Shall we doing more and experimenting with other fillings.

Did you use Francine flour as well? The method is against everything I was taught in DS about making sponge and only folding in the flour, never beating it all together after the creaming stage so I was worried it would just lie there and turn rubbery,but no! I wondered if you could put a piece of chocolate in the well and then cover and it would come out runny. Some experimenting is in hand but the dozen we made only lasted a few hours until they had all been devoured.

I thnk that there are all sorts of recipes with squashy chocolaty centres. Never tried it with little cakes though. What I do do is make up my normal chocolate cake and then stir in  little cubes of chocolate.

When cooked the bits of chocolate are soft whilst it is still hot or warm, cold and they are nicely crunchy.. If I want the 'soft' effect I reheat in the micro wave.

I serve this with

4oz butter + pinch of salt

6oz brown sugar

heat slowly in a pan, when all the sugar has dissoved and it is hot  add a small tub of creme fraiche

This is a delicious toffee sauce in it's own right if I just boil it up for a few minutes with the creme fraiche. Can be eaten hot or cold.

However, for my chocolate cake, I add a bar of dark chocolate at this point and slowly heat up the chocolate and creme fraiche until all the chocolate has melted and then allow to boil for a minute or two.

Pour over a slice of the hot chocolate cake and serve with ice cream.

Never had a better hot chocolate cake than this.

[:D]Moi, fatten everyone else up.

If I said I was not a small lady, would you believe me?[Www]

Still I'm not that 'big' either, lest you think I need two seats pushed together to sit down. I don't.[:-))]

I've just realised why you had craters - altitude affects baking and you were in the mountains. I am just above sea level and never have problems. We used to get Betty Crocker cake mixes in the 80's from the USAAF shop on the base locally and they all had instructions for changing the recip depending on your altitude.

I don't think that I had problems with my baking at our altitude, we were only at around 350m, which is in fact higher than our local mountain 'here' in England[;-)], but in the alpes was just down in the valley bottom. I know when we used to go and holiday up in the mountains that alternate recipes were necessary for the altitude.  Still who knows, baking gets affected by all sorts of things.

New name, well I'll have to think about it.

• 4 weeks later...
Well I just made my second lot and think they should be called Lava cakes. Before, I made it as a sponge by creaming the fat and sugar, beating in the egg, then lemon juice and then folded in the flour. Today I just put the whole lot in a bowl and beat it with the mixer. This time the filling has flowed down the side like lava and left a crater hole, so I just pushed it back in. Obviously the difference is in the method of baking.

• 1 year later...
I was having a bad day yesterday in London waiting in for scaffolders and bricklayer who never arrived, so I cheered myself up by baking your crater cakes, Idun!

Yum.   When I had eaten six, I felt MUCH more cheerful - though rather fatter... 

My "craters" are inside the cake, invisible until you bite into it.  Delicious...

Angela

Archived