Complete France Forum

Quenelles

idun

I really can buy most french things I fancy very easily, there is the odd exception, ie crozets, but I doubt that they are sold all over France, although I could be wrong about that.  And the other thing is quenelles.

I made stew and dumplings tonight, and they were very good and suddenly about an hour after eating, found myself fancying some quenelles au brochet (my favourites).

I have made them, but as with lots of things, I have not found a recipe that is up to scratch as yet, so am quite happy with bought ones.

I like to cook them in an italian tomato sauce, recipe given to me by my neighbour in France with an italian souche.

I ignore cooking instructions and the quenelles go into the hot sauce and then I leave them far far longer than advised and they fluff up and fluff up, soufflé really. Then I get them out with some sauce and then sprinkle grated comté or maybe emmental on them. Lovely.

I've never made them, but they sound very like a Jewish recipe, chopped and boiled fish.

You mince white fish with onions, add eggs and breadcrumbs and form into balls. Stew in stock for hours - the smell lingers .[+o(]

Or you can fry them, or as you do, bake in tomato sauce.

I've only made these a few times, but the fried version is best, IMO.

When I have made them there has been flour and eggs in the recipe, which I reckon is in the bought ones too. I have never found a recipe that has the same consistency when cooked as the bought ones. The fish ones only have a soupcon of fishiness, what with that delicious tomato sauce, the smell in the house is lovely and not awful.

I have several french friends and one german friend who always cook smelly food, ie fish or cabbage.... either outside or in the garage.

[quote user="Patf"]I've never made them, but they sound very like a Jewish recipe, chopped and boiled fish.

You mince white fish with onions, add eggs and breadcrumbs and form into balls. Stew in stock for hours - the smell lingers .[+o(]

Or you can fry them, or as you do, bake in tomato sauce.

I've only made these a few times, but the fried version is best, IMO.

[/quote]

Kerfilta fish, Pat?  (sorry if the spelling is way off!)

Yum.

Yes, I MUCH prefer the fried ones.

But it does take sooo much of very expensive white fish to make.

The French quenelles are just really fade and taste of nothing other than the sauce.

Idun, I wish I could drop in on you and try all these delicious dishes of which you write!

I once made quenelles, but they went mad while I was poaching them and somehow became all fluff and no substance. I think years ago I did buy some tinned ones, though don't remember finding them that good. But I am prepared to give them another try. Is it tinned ones that you used to get? Any particular make? I am planning a pre-Christmas supermarket sweep on Thursday at the end of my current séjour in the Pas de Calais, and might snap some up to take home.

Angela

PS. I have never seen crozets for sale anywhere outside La Savoie, so they must be a mountain thing.

I reckon that crozets are sold in the Savoies and some surrounding depts. My OH doesn't like them, but the kids and I do. A good light meal served with salad, although I have served them with a roast too....... when OH wasn't there.[:)]

I used to buy the fraiche ones in the supermarket, and I cannot remember the brand of the ones I liked best, not the supermarkets own. And even when they soufflé they do have substance too. I suppose that they take on the taste of the sauce they are poached in too, and my neighbour's tomato sauce is really good.

Maybe I should do as I have done so many times in the past, and try recipes until I find one that is 'right', OR play with them and adjust them until they are right.

I must say I rather like all fish cake type things, I have had them fried when made with bread crumbs and with rice too. No idea what sort of cuisine they have been, just that I have enjoyed them.