Complete France Forum

Fish

Gardian

Would appreciate some help with 2 translations:

Pollack. ( I appreciate that cod or ling would be viable alternatives)

............. And from French to English, Sebaste, a fish that we often see for sale at the market fishmonger.

It would be ironic if Pollack turned out to be Sebaste!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

With pollack you've hit on a very confusing subject, one that's confused me too. Some say there's also a difference between pollack and pollock! I think all this group are members of the cod family, including also haddock (aiglefin.)

The most difficult distinction is between lieu jaune and lieu noir ( cheaper but a good buy.) Some say that lieu jaune is pollack and lieu noir is coley.

We can't get Sebaste here, but I looked it up and it says Redfish. Anothe reference says rockfish.

So what does the name matter - just buy and cook the ones that you like!

As they say - oedipus schmoedipus - what does it matter as long as you love your mother.

Fish is my blind spot in French. I can never remember any fish names or their equivalents, which is a bit tricky as, weirdly, I'm allergic to some(not all) fish, and yet not allergic to shellfish.

What's really complicated is that each and every country in the world seems to have its own fish..when I was travelling regularly, and being taken to restaurants -and it's really awkward when you've been taken out to lunch and arrive in the car park of a restaurant and your host only then says "it's a fish restaurant:you do like fish, don't you?" - I discovered to my cost that the world is a rich tapestry of edible fish we've never seen or heard of in the UK.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Colin is Pollack, as rebranded by Sainsbury's

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2009/apr/06/sainsburys-pollack-colin-fish-stocks

[/quote]

On the other hand, our dictionary says "colin (merlu) hake ; (lieu noir) coley.

I just buy what looks fresh, or on special offer, as today I bought a whole salmon which looks very fresh - on promo at 5.99€ per kilo.