Complete France Forum

edible flowers

mint

I'd like some info on which flowers are edible and how you would use them.

I know nasturtium flowers are edible in salads and courgette flowers are good deep-fried.

Lavendar is nice in muffins and cakes and creme caramel and I am guessing all sorts of milk puddings.

Can you eat the flowers of herbs when the plants are over the top, for example, the flowers of rocket leaves, chives, mint and so on?

What dishes would be enhanced by the use of edible flowers?

Are there wild flowers that you could eat and where would you find them?

Lots of ideas would be very welcome.  Thanks.

Borage, viola and violets in salads

Globe artichoke - rather obvious but easy to forget

orange flowers in cakes - good luck finding them in France

Rose petals in sweets and salads

Dandelion in salad - not as diuretic as the leaves

Herb flowers (with the exception of Borage above and lavender) will generally be a poor substitute for the fresh herb but are perfectly edible.

Edit to add that chive flowers are often added to salads

Thank you, Betty, I have bookmarked that page[:)]

Pat, I have eaten courgette flowers done like that many times in Italy but I don't do any deep fat frying at home for a number of reasons, not least of which is the amount of oil needed and then there is the hassle of getting rid of the excess oil afterwards.

I think I read somewhere that blue flowers can be poisonous - though that is clearly not the case with lavender, borage et al.

I seem to remember the art editor on a magazine where I worked getting in a terrible stew because she had had arty photos taken for an article about cooking with flowers and had included lobelia, and it turned out to be a big no-no.

So best to check before you ingest.

Angela

[quote user="idun"]As you are now called 'mint' mint, what I would like to know is, are the flowers on 'mint' edible????[:D]

[/quote]

Yes, id, I checked on the list provided by Betty.

Apparently, these tiny flowers "pack a real punch".....................hm, a bit like me then?[:D]

Use in salads and chocolatey desserts...miam!

I have never made deep fried courgettes, for the same reason as you.

Looking at this thread perhaps it's better to look for the flowers that are harmful or inedible.

The Rustica magazine has a weekly column about edible herbs and flowers, and how to use them, in medications and other uses.

I am really surprised that dandelion flower and leaves, hawthorn flowers/leaves/berries, hazel flowers and young leaves, blackberry flowers and the tips of the young shoots, young translucent beech leaves and the young tips of stinging nettles haven't been thrown into the pot here. OK some of those are not the flowering bits, but?? what the hell. They are delicious and very good for you and free!

Now don't you start confusing me with facts like that Andy [8-)]

Obviously one of my many hereafter moments. That's when I go somewhere and think to myself "what the hell am I here after"?[blink]

The dandelion flowers are lovely and sweet too aren't they. I love going on walks with our village walking groupe in the spring. Picking all sorts of things and munching away and the looks some of the others give me.

I love to munch on a bit of sticky willy, goose grass, too. It's nice and crispy [8-|]

Andy, I tried to quote your post but could only get part of it so I will now have to mention the part of your post that was of most interest.

You mentioned globe artichoke but, alas, it's not something I like.  But it got me to thinking about broccoli and cauliflower both of which I do like.

Had something I've never eaten till today.  It's like a cross between cauliflower and broccoli and it's called chou romanesca in Intermarché.

I boiled it very lightly, dressed with olive oil, fresh red chillies and flaked almonds.  The chilli is mainly for colour and that bit of kick and the almonds were to up the protein for OH who doesn't eat meat.

Lovely to eat and looked nice[:D]

Also, as a matter of interest, I placed a rocket flower on OH's pasta yesterday and he chewed it and then removed it from his mouth.  Wished I had reserved the only flower for myself because I think I'd have liked it.

Archived