Complete France Forum

Powerdesal's gammon joint for Christmas

mint

Well, I hope he managed to get his joint.

I was thinking about this because I caught Nigella's programme and saw her recipe.  Now I am not a fan and I have yet to try one of her recipes.

Plus I don't really rate gammon.  For those people who didn't see the prog and like gammon, here is what she did.

She put treacle on the skin and wrapped the joint in 3 layers of foil.  Blasted it in a hot oven for a short time (I'd do 20 minutes for a largish pork joint) then cooked it for 24 hours or more in a low oven.

When done, she peeled off all the skin, scored the fat in a diamond pattern and studded it with cloves.  Then more treacle on top (and maybe mustard seeds or something else hot, not paying too much attention) and put it back to bake until the fat had rendered and the joint looked completely black, what with the treacle and everything and .......that was it!

I was vegetating in front of the telly but even in my state of utter ennui, I thought to remember this for the gammon lovers amongst us[:D]

I bought a gammon joint yesterday, just a small one, and I have no intention of doing anything other than boiling or baking it. Love it cooked simply and eating it hot or cold.

As I said before, I always managed to get something similar in France and hope that powerdesal did too.

Archived