Complete France Forum

Rice from the Carmargue

mint

My favourite rice is basmati and sometimes I buy brown whole-grain.

This week I wanted to try rice from the Carmargue. It's not the red rice, but the white long grain. It looks beautiful, with a flat grain and is shiny with little starch when washed. However, when I cooked it, it turned very starchy and sticky.

Does anyone use this rice and do you cook any special dish with it?

I used the same amount of water as I usually do for basmati but I didn't expect it to be so glooey. Mind you, since I have had my induction hob, I don't seem to get as good results with lots of cook on the hob dishes as I used to do.

Any advice, tips, recipes, svp?

I have never cooked it, but curiosity peaked and I looked on google france for recettes for riz de camargue.

Interesting and very varied.

One said to pour it into a pan holding plenty of boiling water and then leave to boil for 15 minutes and it should be, well I suppose the term would be al dente........ but truthfully I like my rice rather better cooked than that.

Are they far off the mark though, maybe it does go gloopy if overcooked???? What do you think????

So that delicate balance between being cooked and undercooked and certainly not treat like other forms of rice???

Archived