Complete France Forum

Inheritance laws

Mr Coeur de Lion

I had a friend whose aunt left him a flat in Villefranche sur Mer plus a nice boat moored in the harbour there.  Wonderful inheritance except he was "only" a nephew so the taxes meant that he had to sell the boat immediately and he found it cripplingly expensive to keep on the flat.

There was another sad story about the boat but here's not the place to tell it.

[quote user="WendyG"]While we are on the deeath/inheritance subject, can anyone please confirm that as a British resident (widow) with a residence secondaire in France, with 1 daughter and 1 grandson, that death duties would not be levied on the house in France but only in UK. [/quote]

The French part of your estate is liable to inheritance tax in France.

Regards

Pickles

Hi

Thanks for that - only solution appears to be to sell up before I die - if only one knew the right timing|  We really are taxed from the cradle to the grave|

WendyG

I had hoped that my daughter could inherit without paying tax as we are given no option.

[quote user="WendyG"]Thanks for that - only solution appears to be to sell up before I die - if only one knew the right timing|  We really are taxed from the cradle to the grave|

I had hoped that my daughter could inherit without paying tax as we are given no option.[/quote]

She would get the first 156,974€ tax-free in France ...

Regards

Pickles

The inheritence laws are loads better than they used to be. As I have always said, I would never just live with someone in France I would always be married in France.

And I have lived in 'sin' prior to moving to France.

Relatives and the closer the better including spouse get decent tax breaks, non relatives get stung.

Archived