Complete France Forum

diagnostics again.

maude

Hi Foks,is there a French website which lays down the legal requirements before we try and sell again.There seems to be so many different ideas.We only have one gas(butane) hob,does this have to come into the equation?

Seems a load of money grabbing again.

maude

Maude, I don't think that a butane gaz hob counts as "gas installation".

To need the gas inspected, I believe that they mean whether you have one of those Total Gaz tanks from which you run central heating, etc.

Incidentally, I was told by a seller (before we found our new house [:D]) that, if you have one of these gas tanks, you never actually own the tank and that you have a yearly contract with the supplier.

Hi, Judie, just want to say how-doos and also to say I do believe the hob in our new place has a rigid pipe thingy in the sous-sol area and goes through the ceiling/floor into the kitchen and thus to the hob.

So....is that flexible or not?  Don't remember seing the report on gas installation though I remember everything else, including the energy report.

I think in your case, sweet 17, you would need a gas report. I was told by the expert I work with that if the installation goes from one room to another you would need a report.

Just ask, the experts are strictly regulated and won't make you pay for something you don't need by law.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Hi, Judie, just want to say how-doos and also to say I do believe the hob in our new place has a rigid pipe thingy in the sous-sol area and goes through the ceiling/floor into the kitchen and thus to the hob.

So....is that flexible or not?  Don't remember seing the report on gas installation though I remember everything else, including the energy report.

[/quote]

Max length flexible 2 metres, most in packs are 1,5metres.

But for peace of mind on your next visit to C24 check that there is a valve between the rigid "copper" pipe and the conection to the hob.

The taps for each burner on the hob is not sufficient, if you had a spill of oil on the hob and a fire access to the taps might not be possible.

This would be the moment when you sanguinely turn off the valve.[8-|]

Thanks for putting me right on this one, Judie and BB and Pacha.

I will go through the documents but I have checked with OH and he also does not remember a gas installation report.  Trouble is, we have now bought the house.

Does that mean I now have to go back to the agents and will they really bother (now they have their fees and the sellers have gone off back to the UK) or is it something we can easily remedy ourselves?

I don't know about any valve, Pacha.  The hob is part of a range type oven and any valve wouldn't really be readily accessible in the scenario you describe.

There is, of course, the valve on the cylinder but, as BB has said, that is downstairs in another room altogether.  Death by inhaling fumes or fire should be quick, however?

The gas diagnostique and indeed electricity are only required for an installation done more than 15 years ago. The very  temporary nature of such installations, for example the flexible hose requires changing at intervals as do the butane gas bottles, makes the need for a diagnostic unlikely.

Notwithstanding it would be advisable to check the condition of the installation; you have no idea what travesties do-it-ourselves brits can conjure up.

If there is a control valve then it is likely to be discretely hidden in a cupboard out of sight; this will have been chosen by the brit so that you have to lie on the floor and remove everything from the shelf before reaching the cylinder; also it will be placed adjacent to the burning hob to keep one warm in winter.

The bottle in the sous-sol should be butane and not propane.

Butane gas cylinders in france are under normal circumstances pretty safe due to the action of the détendeur; firstly they reduce the pressure of the liquefied gas in the bottle to 28mbar gauge pressure, this is a low pressure approximately 3% of  atmospheric pressure; secondly they have a maximum flow limit, so that if rupture or detachment of the flexible hose occurs the flow will be immediately interrupted.

Archived