Complete France Forum

Clutch Bleed

yorkie

Went to use the bike yesterday and had no fluid in master cylinder.  Cannot see any leaks and pipe does not seem to be perished.

Tried bleeding today, similar to car, but not sure if I have to pull lever in and out or keep it in continuously.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Does that mean that the fluid will come out by pressure or gravity?  Is it not like bleeding the brakes and clutch on a car where you pump the pedal?  I know it is not a pedal but a lever, but you know what I mean.

Thanks

Try this method. Just used it to good effect on a Duke that had a new brake master cylinder that wouldn't bleed.

Open the bleed nipple and push fluid the wrong way so it fills the master cylinder reservoir. You will have to protect your paint from splashes etc and keep emptying the master cylinder  but it worked for me. The only problem was finding a big enough syringe eg 50ml. I found one at the local farmers supplies.

I'm still wondering where your old fluid went though. The reservoir probably holds x5 the amount of fluid drop caused by clutch wear.

[quote user="Slippery Sam"]Try this method. Just used it to good effect on a Duke that had a new brake master cylinder that wouldn't bleed.

Open the bleed nipple and push fluid the wrong way so it fills the master cylinder reservoir. You will have to protect your paint from splashes etc and keep emptying the master cylinder  but it worked for me. The only problem was finding a big enough syringe eg 50ml. I found one at the local farmers supplies.

I'm still wondering where your old fluid went though. The reservoir probably holds x5 the amount of fluid drop caused by clutch wear.

[/quote]

Yes, I've done it that way on a trials bike. I got a big syringe from our local vet.

Right then boys and girls,

Tried all the above suggestions to no great effect so, in desparation, found this nice repair shop, in Charroux, and, with some trepidation, told him of the problem.  After suggesting the same methods, we agreed that I should take the bike to him.  Loaded it on the trailor and drove there only to find, when we arrived, som 20 mins later, that the fluid had drained through the system and bled the clutch.  Something I had tried several hours to do.  The conclusion is that the movement of the trailor, side to side, had managed to move the fluid through the pipe.  Anyway, the system was checked out and road tested and seems to be OK.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this saga for putting the suggestions forward.

If you are interested, the mechanic I visited is on Route de Civray in Charroux.  Theweb site is www.casse-moto-de-la-vienne.fr and phone number is 0549876421.

Cheers

Archived