Complete France Forum

termite and asbestos survey

We have had an extremely low offer on our old barn which we have reluctanly accepted on the proviso that we will not drop another euro. The estate agent has now come back to say we need a termite and asbestos survey (550 euro) and possibly a sceptic tank survey. An energy report apparently is not needed as we have no heating. As the barn was an old wine cellar, and there is no asbestos or lead, and we are selling for little more than the price of an un-renovated barn, are we legally required to do this, or can we state that the buyer, for that price, can take his chances.

Down to you I am afraid unless your selling it as an agrecultural building but even then I am not sure if it lets you off paying. As you mentioned you are selling it for little more than you would pay for an unrenovated barn I guess its all been renovated and is habitable in which case a definate yes to paying for these.

I rang around to get someone to do our survey, the prices vary enormously and as long as someone is officially allowed to do it, then go for the cheaper one. Strangely the company that looked from it's info would be the dearest was cheaper than any of the others.

Archived