Complete France Forum

Pay rent but name not on lease

student

I am getting into trouble, and would like to seek some help.

Last year I moved in with my boyfriend in his apartment, and we split the rent. My name is not on the lease, but we get CAF as couple.

In April, I paid rent in advance to my boyfriend till August 2011. However, shortly after, we broke up.

My boyfriend moved out, but agreed (verbally) that I could stay in the apartment till summer because I have paid him rent. The lease will expire by the end of August.

I left town for a couple of weeks this month, and just came back. My boyfriend kept the keys for me (which was my stupid mistake), but all of a sudden he refused to give me back the keys, and denied my entry to the apartment (nobody was living there).

My belongings were still in the apartment. And I have paid rent to my boyfriend for the summer.

The landlady has met me several times, so I called the landlady for keys. She said she did not have them (which I think she lied).

I had no other options but to ask a locksmith to change the lock (which surprisingly cost me Eur 800+) so that I could get in. I have informed my boyfriend before and after I changed the lock.

My boyfriend was mad, and reported me to the landlady saying that I broke in his apartment without his permission.

The landlady then called me and said that she did not know me at all, she

only signed the lease with my boyfriend. She said she'd report me to the police.

I went to the police to explain the situation. They said I would not be arrested, but I would need to hire a lawyer to present me.

In this situation, have I done something illegally?

Do I still have the rights to stay in the apartment where I have paid rent for and where my stuff is at?

I am very confused.

Any comment or help would be highly appreciated.

Archived