Complete France Forum

Is this section now dead?

Chancer

I am still keeping my head low after maligning you and then finding out that you weren't actually banned!

That and making an oak gate out of reclaimed SNCF wagon timbers (and in doing so finding the problem with my planer).

I might even try again with photobucket (now that my computer has been decoked) and post some photos.

I am still keeping my head low after maligning you and then finding out that you weren't actually banned!

Hey...I'm not banned at the moment JR[:)].

Yeah, get them piccies up, I love seeing other peoples work, especially when it's from nicked SNCF timber!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Twinkle,

nice table.

I would guess that the difference in the colour of the 'black' and 'white' squares is starting to disappear - this is a normal result of ageing, oxidising etc, and cannot be totally prevented, but it may be possible to delay it.

You might like to try shellac.  I don't know how easily available it is where you are, but you should be able to source some from the internet. I would recommend buying the shellac flakes, and dissolving them in methylated spirits.  It is a bit of a black art, and I am in no way an expert, but it does seem to maintain the paleness of light woods well.  If you are keen at ahving a go, let me know and I will try to talk you through it.

Austin

PS It's a very green material, and is actually edible - I believe it's E904 in food labelling-speak.

Archived