Complete France Forum

Shopping

Mayennaise

Oh goody!! Glad this has been added as there is nothing I like better than going shopping! When asked by MOH what I am shopping for I just answer 'Stuff' - which in his language means anything not edible!! I just love browsing round the tat in Michegan and Foire Foulle (sp). Mind you not everything on there is tat - they do some excellent 'Stuff' as well!!

[:D]

Looking forward to more ideas as to where I can browse and possibly buy 'Stuff'!!

My wife spends a lot of time in Michigan... And Foire Fouille (is that right? A rummage fair?)

She still mourns the closure of the 2€ shop! Apparently she can get a lot of stock at very cheap prices.

She has bought tools from Michigan. These include a spirit level without a bubble, a flexible crowbar and a thermometer that was only accurate when the ambient temperature was 18 degrees.

Have you got Babou? I just love it - everything from tacky polyester fashion stuff to "Moroccan" furniture and see-through purple curtains.

There's one in Poitiers which is next door to the now defunct BricoLots - OH spent hours in there searching out bargains for our ruin, whilst I headed for Babou! Oh happy days! We've just about finished the reno now so don't go anywhere interesting to shop!

Not seen any Babous up this end Zeb, must be local to your region. My daughter found lots of little "temporary" shops on the Langeux zone at St.Brieuc selling all sorts of cheap stuff, she got one of those thick padded full length winter coats two years back for 10€ and its still like new. Unfortunately the shop has now gone so you need to take advantage of these places when they are running no matter what stigma may be attached to visiting one,clothes are clothes and money isn't so forthcoming on a french income after all! I like Casa too for all sorts of household stuff but it isn't a cheapie place.

[quote user="zeb"]Have you got Babou? I just love it - everything from tacky polyester fashion stuff to "Moroccan" furniture and see-through purple curtains. [/quote]

Yes, we have Babou in Montpellier, it's good, isn't it!    It's the only place to stock up on underwear.   Socks for the boy, bras for me, same quality as the big shops but half the price.

They do have lots of polyester, but what a selection of bags!  Bag-lady heaven!   [:D]

"Super U 1€ promos"

Val 2 I love these as well, my best buy was a set of 3 glass bowls with plastic lids, brilliant for storing leftovers in the fridge and then putting them out again for the next meal. Equally good when preparing things in advance and having them ready to serve. I bought extra sets and brought them back for my grown up daughters.

I also had a field day when Super U were getting rid of some of their "gift" items from their points catalogue, for half the number of points,  .

I like the Ikea "bargain basement" area too, always worth a look.[8-|]

Archived