Complete France Forum

Front Doors

londoneye

They seem to be quite expensive here.    Our architect has indicated four doors on our stable conversion and at the time of course it all looked lovely because we hadnt actually researched the price of doors.    Now its not looking quite so exciting !        Any views on the best place to buy?   Tried Brico depot, not particularly keen on them.    Lapeyre seem to have identical but 20 euros dearer.     Any other outlets (cheap of course !) which might have front doors please, which i have not yet discovered?

Londoneye

It would help if you were to post your location, "here" is a very big country!

Here (Picardie) we have a few big operations called Sainthimat who are very good for traditional wooden exterior doors at low prices, they also often have end of lines and liquidated stocks.

Perhaps you have them in your region.

Actually went there today for the first time in a year and it was chock full of hardwood and oak front doors from a very nice one on promo at E229 to ones with sidelights at over E1000.

I think that I did look last year for their website to find how to get there, that was all that it did but at least they had one!

[quote user="J.R."]

Actually went there today for the first time in a year and it was chock full of hardwood and oak front doors from a very nice one on promo at E229 to ones with sidelights at over E1000.

I think that I did look last year for their website to find how to get there, that was all that it did but at least they had one!

[/quote]

Do you have a picture of the one at €229.00.

We had our doors, interior and exterior, made by our local carpenter. Good quality solid doors, using modern security apparel, with your choice of fixings. The price was 50% more expensive but they were built to fit the gap and fitting was included. You would be surprised the designs your local carpenter can reproduce. Only negative is the time to wait if your carpenter is popular.

believe it or not other half is a carpenter (!).      He could make them but as we are renovating and he is doing all of it, he just cant find time to make the doors.    Not sure he would be able to contemplate someone else making them without breathing heavily down their neck ....     good thought though, perhaps i should just persuade OH to set aside the time and make himself .... ?!

[quote user="fulcrum"][quote user="J.R."]

[/quote]

Do you have a picture of the one at €229.00.
[/quote]

Only in my head I am afraid, from memory it wasn't overly ornate, square top rail not chapeau de gendarme but I think some decoration on the double glazed glass panels and some ornamental ironwork. Bois exotique not chene.

Like most things on promo it looked very similar to a stock line at twice the price.

round here it's Lapeyre, Lapeyre or Lapeyre :)

Actually the neighbours had theirs made by a small local firm (fitting themselves) and found they paid as much as we did for Lapeyre (who fitted).

Swings and roundabouts - most small firms seem to charge the same amount if they fit it or not.

Just me (and the neighbours) opinions, distorted (or not) over a few aperitifs...

Archived