Complete France Forum

Buying at Troc

Jacqui      Too

I've been visiting our two local Troc's : Troc.com and EuroTroc and have seen several items that I am interested in buying, now they all have prices on them and I am wondering if I have to pay the asking price (as you do in ordinary shops) or is it usual to make an offer and barter?

Also I have visited Emmaus and wondered the same!

Has anyone had any experience of buying from any of these places?

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

I've been visiting our two local Troc's : Troc.com and EuroTroc and have seen several items that I am interested in buying, now they all have prices on them and I am wondering if I have to pay the asking price (as you do in ordinary shops) or is it usual to make an offer and barter?

Also I have visited Emmaus and wondered the same!

Has anyone had any experience of buying from any of these places?

[/quote]

They usually have signs up in Troc.com saying that the prices are fixed and that therefore you should refrain from making "offers". As for Emmaus, it's a charity. Personally, I'd find it a bit distasteful making offers on things that are being sold for charity.

Both Bordeaux branches of Eurotroc will shift on price it helps if you are buying more than one item. They buy items both on a straight purchase or trade in basis when they pay a low price. They also accept items on consignment where the seller only gets paid when they sell. To gauge mark ups - a truly ghastly grey melanite Fly or But TV stand which we traded in for € 15 was for sale at € 45 so they must have room for movement on price. They also have some new stuff where there is less scope for price changes.

In Depot Vents I thought they only could mark things up by about a third ( someone told me that was the law!) If they use those computer printout sticky labels they sometimes have a date on them which can help give you a clue if they'll mark it down, but like most things in France they have to have their terms and  conditions on display and how long it will be before they have to mark it down. I don't know about you guys but I find Emmaus really expensive for what things are, especially the condition of the things are in, saying that I do donate to them as its a good cause, I find I get much better deals from Brocanteurs or Depot Vents [;-)]

I would have no problem in making an offer on anything in either a Troc or Emmaus - they can only say no after all! When we bought quite a few items from Emmaus (about 6 years ago) we bargained for all of them, got a good price and everyone was happy.

Although Emmaus is founded on charitable principles it is not quite the same as giving to a charity directly, so I don't think there is any reason why you shouldn't try and bargain a bit.

I would suggest you read my posting above. Troc d Lille Cash Convertors etc have their rules but if you are dealing with the familly who own the business they will deal. If they own the piece outright they may cut more than if they are selling on commision but in both cases they will cut.

I have now visited www.troc.com and was surprised that you can put a bid in for their items, not sure exactly how it works but I think you make a bid and if no-one else bids higher within a certain time the 'owner' can agree to sell or not.

But I am not interested in buying on-line I prefer to buy on the spot and take it home!

After reading through these posts I think that the different trocs sell in different ways, so I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for signs that say 'no offers' and if something takes my fancy just go for it, They can only say 'non'[:-))] 

Archived